Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

More newbie boost related questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2006, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

More newbie boost related questions

Whats the standard boost on a MY99 Turbo?
Do many of you manually adjust the boost, using an MBC or bleed valve, or even from the actuator?
Is the actuator adjustable?

Thats is for now. I'm asking because I have seen a lot of threads about people that have added performance mods, filter, exhaust etc, and are expecting the boost to adjust itself. Is this what the ECU re-set does?

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2006, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

standrad is 0.9bar.
playing around with boost controlers can be very dangerous if you don't know what your doing. would advise staying well clear.

the ecu in the impreza is an 'intelegant ecu' aka it learns from the way you drive and conditions.

best bet is a remap to get best out of engine and what mods you've got
Old 05 Apr 2006, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I'm aware of what needs to be done using a boost controller. Factory boost is always minimal, there is always enough fueling to support a certain raise in boost. I'm not talking stupid amounts, but would like to know what a safe boost level would be with fueling supplied.
The intelligent ecu is a brilliant idea, only something the jap's could come up with, but, from what I've read, it doesn't alter fuel maps hence the need for mapping.
Are there a lot of mapping options available? Are we talking piggy back ecu's, replacement eeprom's or complete ecu's?
thanks for your input.
Old 06 Apr 2006, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

my99 i believe can have ecutek remap, using standard ecu. price will be around £800 ish depending on where you go.

mines remapped and peaks at a bout 1.3ish bar, however it has spiked to 1.5 once on a very cold day.