Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

screeching noise! wheel bearing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2005, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

screeching noise! wheel bearing?

hey everyone!
i read a similar post to this, but there was no conclusion.

I have weird screeching/squeeking/creeking noise coming from my front right wheel. it seems louder when im turning left!. also seems to creek a little if i turn the wheel when stationary.

I had the wheel off, the c.v and drive shaft seem fine, the caliper doesnt seem to be sticking as the car drives straight and not pulling.

Anyone had this before? im thinking the wheel bearing needs replacing? i took it to a local garage, but they just said c.v joint (as they dont really have a clue)

does anyone have any idea about the bearings on an impreza 2000?
i dont want to try and change them if they require pressing, as i dont have the tools to do it....

anyone have any clues????? oh also, if i drive the car with busted bearings, will it damage the dif etc?????

and suggestions would be great.

CHEERS!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2005, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi dieard

Sorry to hear about your problem mate I found some screeching noise/wheel bearing threads for you to look at (hope they help) ???

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...+wheel+bearing

Old 03 Jan 2006, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

ok, ive come to the conlusion that the noise is the wheel bearing..i bought one for 49, which is about right....

NOW...i have phoned around loads of places for quotes to fit it...the prices vary from 50-80 for fitting, and they all say that it is about 2 hours labour

surely it doesnt take 2 hours to fit one! id do it myself if i had the tools.

Anyone have any idea? any suggestions would be grateful?
Old 03 Jan 2006, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieard
hey everyone!
i read a similar post to this, but there was no conclusion.

I have weird screeching/squeeking/creeking noise coming from my front right wheel. it seems louder when im turning left!. also seems to creek a little if i turn the wheel when stationary.

I had the wheel off, the c.v and drive shaft seem fine, the caliper doesnt seem to be sticking as the car drives straight and not pulling.

Anyone had this before? im thinking the wheel bearing needs replacing? i took it to a local garage, but they just said c.v joint (as they dont really have a clue)

does anyone have any idea about the bearings on an impreza 2000?
i dont want to try and change them if they require pressing, as i dont have the tools to do it....

anyone have any clues????? oh also, if i drive the car with busted bearings, will it damage the dif etc?????

and suggestions would be great.

CHEERS!!
Hi
I had exactly the same problem. So decided to take it to my local Subaru dealer.
They lifted it up and ran it about 70 mhp. To my embaresment the wear indicator clips on on the front brake pads were rubbing on the rusty part of the disc (front right).
He bent them back and surgested I replaced front pads.

Kev
Old 04 Jan 2006, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Angry

just in case anyone gets the same prb.......the scoob garage i use where really confused.......they found that the bearing was rolling around on the hub, and it was scrapping, and made some damage to the hub.....had to order a new hub and bearing.

what caused this to happen? anyones guess! but already clocked up about 3 hours labor on it... ball part figure of repair will be in the region of 200/300
Old 22 Jan 2009, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to KaraK
Re: screeching noise! wheel bearing?

i had the same happen on my first classic - bearing went and took the hub with it

Ever since then I've been paranoid about my bearings - however the last two times I've thought I've had a bearing going it hasn't. The first was the wear markers on the pads (You're not alone BIG GRINDER :P) and the second was a partially siezed caliper