Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Newbie needs help with 93 wrx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2005, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Newbie needs help with 93 wrx

hi guys i am new to impreza ownership and am worried about my car it feels really slow with a very intermittant missfire in fact it hardly misses just a slight skip every now and then but it always feels slow i also have a nissan 200sx s14a and that feels alot faster than the impreza surely thats not right my car is a 93 wrx and has been in the country a year now i know for a fact it hasnt been run on optimax could this be the problem or is it more likely to be my plugs also what boost should it be running it sits nicely at 0.5 bar is this right any help would be most appreciated

Thanx
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2005, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Could be the engine is excepting japanese spec fuel?

Try searching round on this forum,

also have a look at the ecu reset sticky in technical.

Oh,and

WELCOME!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Welcome to the site...

Does sound like the car is running in safe mode as 0.5 BAR is only 7.5 PSI. Should be around 0.9 BAR or 13PSI, I believe

As BATFINK said try an ECU reset or try and see if you have any fault codes.

Fuel wise as a Jap import it should be on OPTIMAX or TESCO 99Ron
NEVER use 95Ron fuel.

How to check ECU and rest
http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....iag%20Page.htm

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 30 Nov 2005, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

first off guys thanx for the quick reply i was starting to think i had bought a dog if the car is in safe mode surly the engine check light would be on i have but a tank of optimax with an octane suppliment and the problem still persists could it be my plugs i will try the ecu reset as soon as i can is there any other reasons why i might be down on boost it does hold rock solid so i doubt its a leak thanx again for the quick response.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Welcome m8 - need to reset the ecu I think - boost should be higher and check for ecu fault codes (might need to get it to a Subaru dealer or good independant) must run imports on SUL or best Optimax i.e. 98 RON unless you have a remap done! I had a S13 200sx which went well but my WRX goes a lot quicker!!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

right done the ecu reset (great guide cheers peter) the car threw up the camshaft position sensor fault code 13 i think the car feels loads better and is no longer hesitating or missing but still only makes 0.5bar/7.5psi i think it must have some kind of boost controll that could have been turnd right down or is faulty i regularly used to run just 5psi on the 200 in the winter any ideas what that fault code could be.

cheers for the help
Old 30 Nov 2005, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

The low boost COULD be because of the Camshaft positioning sensor fault. Try locating the sensor and check the contacts.
The ECU can drop into safe mode when some faults are triggered

Old 30 Nov 2005, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Just another thought. Someone else had a similar boost problem and it turned out the boost solenoid pipes were reversed (on wrong way round) on the solenoid

Old 30 Nov 2005, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

>|<>QBB&l:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUK300
Just another thought. Someone else had a similar boost problem and it turned out the boost solenoid pipes were reversed (on wrong way round) on the solenoid
Thats right Peteruk It was me who had a problem with the boost pipes on the wastegate controller being the wrong way round!!!

Mine was boosting to 0.5bar until these guys on the.org sorted the problem out and WOW :P :P :P it produces 1.2bar now and keeps putting a BIG on my face! The downside is the fuel goes the otherway :P but i dont care its the fun factor and noise im into!!!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

the other daft problem we come across quite reguarly is where a "boost controller" has been fitted, it may either be poorlt set-up or in one case wasn't switched on!!

all resulting in low performance/boost
Old 01 Dec 2005, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanx for all the responses the car is booked in for a service so i will see if that helps also where will i find the boost piping that i need to check pics if poss please.
Old 01 Dec 2005, 07:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Check to see where these lead to:

Pipe no.1 - goes to the wastegate
Pipe no.2 - goes to the inlet manifold
Pipe no.3 - goes to the air box

I hope im right cos i havnt lifted the bonnet to have a look (my tea is nearly ready :shock: ).

Hope you find sumthing!

:punk:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid1_501.jpg (41.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 02 Dec 2005, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

had the car in for a service and that has made the car feel alot stronger but still only boosting to 0.5 i dont think its in safe mode its just not making full boost i have checked the pipe that goes from the boost solinoide to wastegate and there is no restrictor in the pipe so i thnk that would mean i am only boosting to the set actuator pressure which i belive is 0.5 bar think we have cracked it lads could i just put a MBC in the line or do i need to take the solinoide off altogether cheers for pic mate helped loads.
Old 03 Dec 2005, 08:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Try replacing the boost solenoid, it could be faulty!!!

I had a similar problem years back and that was to do with the solenoid breaking down and not adjusting correctly (think I was getting 0.6 bar instead of the Subaru standard 1.0 bar/14 psi).

My car now boosts at 14-16 psi very happily!!! 8)

Hope you get a resolve matey, oh and did you take it to a Subaru garage and tell them of the fault??? I'm sure they would have got it back up to 14 psi!!!
Old 04 Dec 2005, 11:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

me and my mate swaped some pipes around and the boost held at 0.7 bar i thought that could be standard but every body says its 1 bar standard but i hit the fuel cut at just under a bar