Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Anyone ever removed Prodrive suspension upgrades.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2005, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Anyone ever removed Prodrive suspension upgrades.

I've got the Prodrive suspension upgrades. They were fitted from new in early 1998. Not sure what they consist of, but I've read that they are probably Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs. I've got 215/40 rubber on 17" wheels.

The roads where I live are pretty crap and I've often had the car scraping on the ground or on speed bumps - no real damage yet, just some nasty scratches on that protective cover thing underneath the engine. Also I find the ride fairly unconfortable over long distances - lots of rattles and and jolts. So I'd prefer to raise the ride-height of the car and perhaps make the suspension a little softer. Raising the ride-height is fairly important or I'm going to damage the car eventually, but I can live with the harder suspension settings if changing this is going to knacker the handling.

I'm planning on putting new tyres on next week so going to a slightly higher profile is possible, but I'm not sure there'd be enough room without the tyres scuffing on the wheel arches.

I don't want to go to the expense of changing the dampers, but new springs would be fine. Would fitting OEM springs with the Bilstein dampers be OK? Any other possibilities? Not sure what sort of geometry settings this would need though - probably somewhere between Prodrive and standard. Can anyone recommend some springs that don't lower the car as much as the Eibachs and are a bit softer, but don't cause spoil the handling or induce excessive understear?

Cheers,
Abaddon.
Offline   Reply With Quote