Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Mixing Tyres

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Mixing Tyres

Currently got 215/40ZR17 Bridgestone SO2PP fitted all round. The fronts are badly worn and need replacing, but there's still loads of wear left in the back tyres. Unfortunately the Bridgestones aren't been made any more. I don't really want to buy four new tyres, so what's the problem having different tyres on the front and back?

Assuming I just replace the fronts, the new Bridgestone is the RE050, but these are 120/corner and apparently have a totally different tread pattern. I've been recommended Goodyear Eagle F1s since these are only 90/corner and have a similar tread pattern. I've heard the Goodyears are more noisy, but with the exhaust, the engine and rattles from the hard suspension I don't think I'll notice this much. Any thoughts? Any other tyres I should consider mixing with the old S02PPs on the back?

Later,
Abaddon.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2005, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Remind me of that old adage'don't mix crossplies with radials on the same axle' .

Welcome to the forum b the way.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I changed the fronts only last change on the impreza but im not suer i done the right thing... money is the main issue! would recommend changing all for consistency / stability of the car -- especially in the winter...
Old 26 Nov 2005, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

my experience

my '99 car came with bridgestone so2s which were great... i rotated them and got them to wear evenly... changed them to pirelli p-zero assymetrico at replacement time... found the pirellis less sensitive and also poorer in the wet... got a set of unused bridgestone re 010s from another scooby and have just put them on... tried 2 wheels initially but it either understeered too much or was twitchy depending on what tyres were at which end... have them on all corners now and it feels sorted - great directional control, amazing in the dry, not as good as so2s in the wet... just for your info, my mate has a 200 bhp rwd ford granada scorpio cosworth which was a nightmare in the wet but the goodyear eagle f1s were short of unbelievable... wears quickly and not so good in snow due to tread pattern but they were brilliant otherwise... will probably get them or continentals next... just some info for you to ponder