Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

How to adjust your clutch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2005, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

How to adjust your clutch

looking under your dash just above the clutch pedal -

pedal hight first - you'll see that there is an adjustable stop for the pedal hight - lift the pedal and it touches it.
2 14mm spanners for this job - adjust the stop so that the pedal is at the same hight as the brake pedal. do this before you adjust the rod..........

.........above the clutch pedal you'll see a rod that goes off to the engine bay. it has a small 12mm nut locking it onto a metal part fixed to the pedal. crack off the nut and turn the rod anti clockwise (as your looking at it -) test the biting point before tightening the nut.

hope this helps.

if you find that the pedal still feels no better, or your getting judder - then it's more than likly a new clutch thats required.

all the best. Andy
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2005, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Sirus
ive read that scooby,s suffer with clutch judder ?
or has some 1 been telling porkies :shock:
Old 05 Nov 2005, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirus
ive read that scooby,s suffer with clutch judder ?
or has some 1 been telling porkies :shock:
Yep known problem on Scoobies. Had mine sorted under Warranty with a modified Flywheel and clutch. Apparently 02/03 on are less likely to suffer as they have the modified flywheel and clutch as standard.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 05 Nov 2005, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

they judder due to a combination of worn clutch and damaged flywheel. the flywheel gets hairline fractures due to the stresses forced on it, these cause an uneven surface when heated during use. These 'heat spots' slip on the clutch causing the judder we know all too well.

easily sorted - new clutch and get the flywheel skimmed - 525 all in at my workshop.
We take the engine out to do the job so anyone thinking of having this done with us might want to get other jobs done at the same time - saving you loads of cash!
Old 07 Nov 2005, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22B-Andy
easily sorted - new clutch and get the flywheel skimmed - 525 all in at my workshop.
We take the engine out to do the job so anyone thinking of having this done with us might want to get other jobs done at the same time - saving you loads of cash!

What's the reason for engine removal if you don't mind me asking? Had an uprated clutch and supplied my own flywheel for fitting to the scoobyclinic. Took 4 hours and I don't believe they removed the engine.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i remove the engine because i find it easier than scrapping around on the floor or blocking up a ramp. plus i get to have a better look over a customers engine and components for them.

most of my customers like to get cambelts and/or servicing done at the same time, so with the engine out, everthing is more accessable.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Cheers! That reminds me...need a cambelt and may treat myself to some lightened pulleys at the same time
Old 07 Nov 2005, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i can supply those
Old 16 Nov 2005, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
>|<>QBB&l:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22B-Andy
they judder due to a combination of worn clutch and damaged flywheel. the flywheel gets hairline fractures due to the stresses forced on it, these cause an uneven surface when heated during use. These 'heat spots' slip on the clutch causing the judder we know all too well.

What the f##k 525

I had clutch judder 2 years ago when I first bought my turbo 2000.
Try slipping the clutch a little (to clean off the plates) while planting my right foot to the floor like doing a quick 0-60. :P Problem solved You sometimes get the smell of burnt clutch in your car.
I did take it into Subaru and they said they would change the clutch and flywheel under Warranty but it would probably make the judder worse ops:

Kev 8)
Never had any problem since and still have 525 in my pocket
Old 16 Nov 2005, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

not everyones clutch judder will be cleared after slipping it!

if you try this and the problem persists or comes back after a couple of days then you need a new clutch!

glad you were amused!
Old 28 Feb 2009, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: How to adjust your clutch

hi huys , clutch judder i some times caused by a slight warp in the bottom end so keep an eye out for it. and engine removal is the better option if you have stacks of cash but however it is easyer to drob the gear box as there is less pipes to disconect and mix up in the re-fitt
cheers!
yeh i agree glad you were all amused!!!
Old 28 Feb 2009, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: How to adjust your clutch

dam my head gasket has gone looks like a engine removal!!!!
easy! whoooosh