Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Newbe Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2005, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Newbe Question

Hi All, being a new scooby owner (Classic Series Mcrae) I have a couple of quick questions i'm hoping someone can answer, i've searched but get some conflicting results, here goes

1. Does the 95 Classic have TD05 or 04 turbo?
2. Do I have coil packs of HT leads?
3. Will the car pass the dreaded MOT with a decat downpipe fitted and original mid cat?
4. I'm fitting a Z4 ecu (wrx) will this affect question 3?
5. I'm off to america next week and will buy some replacement speakers as they are half price, Infinity components 6 1/2" will fit straight in to front and back? or is a spacer needed?

Thanks for taking the time if you can help.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2005, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

1. TD05.
2. coil packs (x4)
3. some do, most don't - will have to be feckin hot to get anywhere near though..........
4. you will have probs with the speed delimiter coming in................

sorry no idea about the speakers

alyn
Old 11 Oct 2005, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Speed limiter? :evil:

I Read on another scooby forum that the Z4 (WRX) ECU is the best for classic impreza's giving power close to Prodrive performance pack figures and also having very good fuel maps but i had no idea it would be speed limited. So what would the speed be limited to when fitted to a UK turbo? and how easy is it to overcome.

I Didn't pay an awfull lot for it, it just seemed a better/safer option that a scoobyecu chip.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Speakers all the info you need here :- http://www.chiark.com/scooby/icetoc.asp

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 14 Oct 2005, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Installed the Z4 ECU tonight and all is looking good, car pulls much better than before, i only had a quick run round town but in 2nd and 3rd the car is much quicker suprising for only a 1.5 psi raise, although it does hold hi boost all the way to the red line now.

will have to run it tomorrow to see if i have the speed limiter coming in, and how much more responsive the car is in high gears. I still have the downpipe, green filter and new plugs to fit which should improve things further, god i love this car!!
Old 15 Oct 2005, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

3. You don't have a centre cat in yours so no chance of passing the mot. (the early models only had the downpipe cat)
4. If its from an imported car, the fuel maps will be at 100ron, so you'll now have to run optimax with octane booster to stop it detonating.
I also always thought the speed limiting was to do with the throttle cable, because thats all my brother had changed on his '93WRX (apart from the clocks) to de-limit it.
5. Front speakers should be fine but the rear ones are a real PITA. They are a funny size and no aftermarket ones I've found will fit. You would have to start cutting the metal. Oh and getting to them is a crappy job too.
HTH.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I'll have to go under and check on the second cat, i'm sure i'll end up refitting the original downpipe for MOT time .

The car is running on Optimax at the moment and seems fine, definately an improvement on standard, apart from the limiter, yes it's there 118 mph and it's like i've hit the rev limiter, gutted, mind you its not often that i drive at speeds near that, honest officer

I'm in america at present on business so i'll pick some fronts up here (half price) i'll leave the rears for a while me thinks.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 06:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessy
I'll have to go under and check on the second cat, i'm sure i'll end up refitting the original downpipe for MOT time .

The car is running on Optimax at the moment and seems fine, definately an improvement on standard, apart from the limiter, yes it's there 118 mph and it's like i've hit the rev limiter, gutted, mind you its not often that i drive at speeds near that, honest officer

I'm in america at present on business so i'll pick some fronts up here (half price) i'll leave the rears for a while me thinks.

Thanks for all the info.
You can get a Sports Cat Centre pipe. That would save all the problems

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 17 Oct 2005, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I got a catted centre section from an MY99, mine was free but I'm sure you could pick one up pretty cheap.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly P
I got a catted centre section from an MY99, mine was free but I'm sure you could pick one up pretty cheap.
So do you pass the MOT with only the centre section fitted? i'm kind of thinking along the lines that as the car was only produced with one cat the emmisions are higher than dual cat cars anyway so by efectivly moving the cat from the downpipe to the centre the emmisions should be unchanged?

Will i still see a power increase by doing this? or just an increase in turbo spool time.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Nelson's MY00 passed with just a centre cat. It did require warming up quite a bit.
When you de-cat it you should really upgrade the fuel pump.
Basic principle is stuff in....stuff out. Getting the stuff out (exhaust) is just as important as getting stuff in (air, fuel)
So if you put a dirty great cat right behind the turbo it causes a large restriction.
What actually happens is when your car is making 0.7bar boost(for example, this isn't accurate) your turbo will have to be producing 0.9bar boost to overcome the restriction in the exhaust.
So when you remove the cat the turbo still spools to the 0.9 bar which will cause the car to run lean as its still putting in the same amount of fuel.
A bigger fuel pump makes it run richer without ECU changes.
I believe the later model classics and beyond have much swisher ECU's that can accomodate for the de-cat without the fuel pump, what model year is your new ECU from?
You will see a power increase from a de-cat, and it should spool up a little faster as its breathing better.
HTH.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

The new Z4 ecu is from a 95/96 WRX, i've been told that the car runs rich anyway and that the ecu will sense the higher boost in the manifold so will adjust fueling to suit the earlier increase in boost pressure. does this sound right?