Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Decat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2005, 05:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Decat

I have made my own decat by getting hold of a broken cat off a wrx. I have hollowed it out and welded it back up.

But when I have taken my old cat off of my car (sti V5) I have a slightly different opening to the front of the pipe. My original pipe has this opening:

As you can see it has an opening for the wastegate side too. But the one I have fitted only has the one main opening:
(sorry for stealing somebody elses pic)

My question is:

Would it stop the wastegate performing properly. I have already fitted it and there doesn't really feel any difference to the performance of the car. The pick up is very slightly smoother (not such a kick when the turbo comes in) I was always under the impression that a decat makes quite a noticeable difference on a turbo'd car.

Should I take this home made decat off before it does any damage to my tubo/engine?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2005, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

it will not be as good as a decat as you still have the big pipe there messin up the airflow,where as a straight pipe increases air flow :wink:
Offline   Reply With Quote