Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

cold air feed to filter box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2005, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cold air feed to filter box

is it possible to drill the filter box and place the cold air feed pipe into it.any help technical welcome.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2005, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

thats not a bad idea, a little dodgy though for water penetration, unless it was perforated to let water escape before reaching airbox, are you gona try it
Old 27 Sep 2005, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

if your ecu is maf based be very carful as any change in the direction that the air hits the maf or to much free flow of air will mess the fueling up.

fitting a cone type filter fecked the running of mine up untill the remap :wink:
Old 28 Sep 2005, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanx

thanx for the advice might give it a try with the remap and try to work out some way to get the water to drain.could try some sort of flap divice for drainage.thanks again let u know wat happens.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

The original airbox has a hole in the bottom to allow for water drainage anyway. The best mods you can do is remove the resonator box from the inner wing and then enlarge the hole in the airbox to the size of the opening in the inner wing. Then bridge the gap with with a little duct tape which ensures only cold air from the inner wing can enter the airbox. You can then route a cold air duct towards the airbox. Do not put the cold air pipe directly into the box's original hole (like I did) as more gains can be had by modding the box further. Enough of my drivel....pictures speak a thousand words (sorry about the quality - cam phone! Also sorry about the lack of pics, I did most of the work then thought about the pics later ops: ):

Hole in inner wing is bigger than the hole in the airbox.....this equals potentially more air intake!
Remove metal ring and rubber seal from airbox entry.
Enlarge original hole to roughly match the opening on the inner wing.
Test fit box to check match and here
Bridge the gap between the airbox and inner wing to keep out the hot air from under the bonnet and draw only cool air from the inner wing - not neat but who's gonna see it (apart from you lot :shock: )
Route cold air pipe close to airbox inlet but not into it! You'll get better performance this way.

When I originally had my car mapped, I had the cold air pipe going directly into the airbox via it's original hole. Yesterday, using my AP22 performance meter, I measured a 60 - 110mph time of 12.47secs and it took 1656ft to do it in. I had 1/4 tank of fuel and a full boot of junk. I then did the above mods to the airbox and retested (only after filling up the tank ops: ) - the results were surprising to say the least. 60-110mph now took 10.57 secs over a distance of 1367ft.....almost 2 seconds quicker (on the exact same stretch of private driveway) and the car felt much stronger AND I had more weight in the form of extra fuel.

I can only summise that the original airbox is strangling my top end power......next mods is to get an induction kit mounted in the inner wing.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

To be honest guys if you are keeping the standard airbox, Subaru got it right the first time and messing around with it (i.e. drilling it etc) can only lead to problems!!! Also looks like it's been messed around with if you ever come to sell it!!!

Now if you want a proper performance upgrade which can easily be reversed and without too much hassle, we supply Blitz's answer to this problem.

It is called the "Blitz Induction Cover" and it replaces the filter box lid on the standard panel filter box. It comes complete with a new Blitz Panel Filter and is a fraction of the price of a new induction kit. The Induction Cover removes the restrictive part of the standard system (through the wing) and thus increases bhp. Not only that but they look nice under the bonnet too!!!

They unfortunately only fit years from 9/1998-10/2002.

We sell a load of these and for 123.38 (Inc. VAT) you can't really go wrong. 8)

Just my 2p,

Rich
Old 14 Oct 2005, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

The problem that I can see with the Blitz Induction cover is that it draws HOT air directly from the engine bay which dramatically reduces performance and increases the chances of detonation. This is especially true for imports where the cars are mapped for a higher grade of fuel and run very close to the limits anyway. TBH, you'd be much better off putting a panel filter into the original airbox and drawing the cooler air than spending a small fortune on a less than ideal product.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Yeah fair enough in standard form the Blitz Induction Cover does draw air from the engine bay. ops:

Not quite the cold air feed you would want I suppose. :roll:

I got ideas how to get around this, but I'll keep those for myself... 8)
Old 14 Oct 2005, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Rich do you do something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 14 Oct 2005, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

To be quite honest mate we are just picking RBPD off the floor and have re-launched it with new attitude and soon to be new products. 8)

We are about to design a few of our own bits and hopefully a proper cold air induction kit will be amongst the products.

I can't say everything we are planning yet mate, all I can say is we have some good stuff coming up!!!

Lets hope with the dot orgs help and the fact we give dot org members 10% off most things on our site, we can generate some good business!!!

Rich