Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Technical Question about Turbo and Octane Fuel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2005, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Technical Question about Turbo and Octane Fuel

Dear all
i have read that to have turbo on your Impreza you have to use a high Octane Fuel 95-98 and that is because the high Octane Fuel can resist the high pressure and temperature of the boost more than the low octane and this prevent the engine from Knocking which is burning the Fuel before the sparks work.

in our country we only have 92 Octane but at the same time we have a lot of Mercedes Benz Kompressor i have read that the Kompressor is a super charger which still have a high boost level so how can this work with 92 octane fuel?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2005, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
Do they sell impreza's in your market/country? If so i should think they'll be mapped to suit the fuel sold in that country.

If your thinking of getting a jap import, you'll struggle running it on 92 ron fuel without serious consequences!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

yes

yes we have impreza here but it is a 1.6TS non turbo Impreza

but i was thinking of installing a turbo kit on it. and as i am reading about turbo i got these info that it has to have a better octane and a less compression so the fuel do not burn before the Sparks.

so i am not looking for a huge perfromance here but i want to know how much boost can i run using 92 octane and the internals of the engine?