Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Wheel Bearing Noise from the Rear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2005, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Wheel Bearing Noise from the Rear

Hi,
I am very new to this website and my Car.

I have a WRX STi UK Type 52reg Subaru and wondered if you can help me at all.

The car seems to have a noise coming from the rear what sounds like the wheel bearings. Its a Whinning noise that is there all the time from 10mph upwards, less than 10mph it sounds like tyre noise. At first, especially when test driving the car, the noise sounded normal, what I would expect from a Rally car, but having driven it for over 350miles on the motorway I am now starting to think it isn't normal.

The car has just had new Rear Wheel Bearings fitted under warantee so it can't be them.

Please can you tell me, Is it normal for a WRX STi to sound quite noisey especially on the motorway? I expect it to be noisey, I just want to make sure there isn't anything un-toward. I have had wheel bearings go before on other cars and found them to be noisey at only certain speeds, this is noisey all the time.

I am thinking it is tyre/road noise rather than anything bad, it would be nice to hear your experience.

Cheers

Lee[/img]
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2005, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Could be something caught in the rear pads

Try reversing for some distance and applying the brake now and then. This may release any stones/muck that may have got into the rear brakes. Other than that let the dealer sort it as it is under warranty.
The rear diff etc should not be noisy over the exhaust note???

Welcome to the site by the way

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 21 Sep 2005, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Hi lee welcome to the site

As you say the car does suffer form road noise, as your car is still undrer warrenty why where the bearings replaced? cos of the noise?
Have the dealers checked out the rear diff? (drained the oil?) as that would be the most likely choice to me?

Take it back mate :wink:

Buzz
Old 22 Sep 2005, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

I does sound like it could be Diff related

One thing you could try is swapping the front tyres for the rear ones and see if the noise moves

Alwats worth doing this cos tyres can be quite noisey at times
Old 05 Oct 2005, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi,
Well I have managed to fix the problem, it was the rear tyres!!

When I first heard the noise I checked the tyres and they seemed fine, good tread depth more than road legal and brushed them off as it can't be them. Then today whilst walking up to the car from a distance I noticed the inside of the tyre tread looked bald (Darker in colour). I checked them out to find they were in fact ok, however; I noticed the tread wear to be very uneven.

I quickly jacked up the car and swoped the rear wheels round with the front wheels. Whilst doing so I inspected the wheels even closer and found that the inside tread line was wavey, it went up and down as i rubbed my hand along the rotation of the wheel.

This has to be the noise, a whirling noise from the rear, I checked the other side and that was the same! To further confirm my suspision I put them on the front and took the car for a drive, instantly it sounded quieter although it was still there but now coming from the front, in fact i could feel vibrations through the streering wheel and foot pedals, this is it!!

So all I need is new tyres. Now the question is why???

Why did they become uneven wear, I have never seen this type of wear before and find it strange how it can wear in such a way. The wear on the inside basically goes like this:-

Good High point of tyre, dropping down to a low point then going back up to a high point again and it does this for the full revolution of the wheel. How?? its like the tyre has worn on half of each segment of tyre on the inside as the wheel rotated. but how??

The Only thing I can think it is is the Wheel bearings being faulty which are now replaced. If it were the tracking I would expect to see a bald smooth inside edge, this isn't. Do you know what may have caused it?

Cheers

Lee
Old 05 Oct 2005, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to mr freeze
:hmm: :hmm: try having your geometry checked mate because your supposed to change it if you've had different size wheels on ie 18's .
If the prevous owner had 18's he'd of had the geo done & now if you've got standard wheels on that mite be why your having uneven tyre wear :wink: :wink:
Old 22 Jun 2007, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Had some kind of problem on my 2001 reg impreza the car was fine when bought it but had new tyres put on and now got a drowning noise coming from back of car but only happens or gets louder at about 60 mph or over have changed alloys over but still no differant like i said this only started when got new tyres put on and only sounds like its coming from back pasenger side
( ANY IDEARS ) ??????????
Old 24 Jun 2007, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I just picked up my 2002 bugeye WRX and have the same noise!! i was beginning to think it was wheel bearings or rear axle, then sort of convinced myself it could be tyres, reading this post i;m now convinced its the tyres. Mine still has the standard bridgestones on it, anyone recommend something different? perhaps quieter with a taller profile

Neil