Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

coolant problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2005, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

coolant problem

i keep losing coolant out of my car through the reserve resevoir overflow pipe, it doesnt come out quick but it i leave it the coolant for the radiator tank goes aswell, so i have to keep filling it up.
when i leave the car running and have a look theres loads of bubbles just coming up from the tube with the yellow cap. the top radiator hose is hot n the bottom one is cold.
what could it be? easy to replace? how much will it cost? any help would be great guys.
i've also got the 5th gear crunch. you guys know what kind of price roughly it wil b?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01238_393.jpg (62.3 KB, 28 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2005, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Could it be your thermostat not opening :?:

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

if it's not opening would it overheat? because i have no problem with it aslong as i keep the coolant up, but somtimes the temp gauge goes up bout 3 quarter but then returns to half way. the heating also still works.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lly1982
if it's not opening would it overheat? because i have no problem with it aslong as i keep the coolant up, but somtimes the temp gauge goes up bout 3 quarter but then returns to half way. the heating also still works.
That does sound like it is working :?:

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 19 Sep 2005, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hmmm - I would have said the same as Pete as in the Thermostat wasn't working ??

BUT

From what you describe it sounds ok ?? Have you had the coolant changed recently ? The only reason I ask is it could be air thats trapped in the system. Best thing to do is (when the car is cold) pop off the rad cap and run the car up to temp - continually squeezing the bottom rad hose - you should be able to hear air escaping and should see bubbles etc. The only other thing that sprung to mind is head gasket - However you should be able to see oil in your water or water in the oil.

Remember the overflow expansion tank (the pipe you have circled) is there to release excess water/coolant. Usuall this should happen if the car has been driven hard and or standing in traffic for a very long time.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

my vote is for head gasket just starting to go,you dont always get oil or water transfer.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

when the car is warmed up i let it idle, and had a feel of the radiator hoses. the top one is hot while the bottom one is cold, had some advice from friends n they said it could be air trapped, how do i bleed? of get rid of the air locks? car was service at d main dealer bout 3000 miles ago. y do u say its d head gasket? because i know for a fact its leaking from the overflow pipe because i get coolant on my drive front the front left where the overflow is roughly is.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

It could well be air - espeically if teh service included a coolant flush and replace ??

I would try the following :

The only reason I ask is it could be air thats trapped in the system. Best thing to do is (when the car is cold) pop off the rad cap and run the car up to temp - continually squeezing the bottom rad hose - you should be able to hear air escaping and should see bubbles
Old 22 Sep 2005, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i tried what u said but it didnt seem to work, with the cap off n car running i kept on squeezing the bottom hose and the coolant flow out everytime the hose was squeezed. i did this till d temp gauge was up to halfway. what could it be? what could be causing the coolant to run back into d reserve? any other ways of bleeding the system?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Well this method should expel any trapped air. The next thing to try would be the thermostat......when you have been driving a car the top and bottom rad hose should be hot. This is where the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to flow around the entire system after warm up has taken place. if the thermostat is sticking closed then it might not be allowing the water/coolant to flow around the rest of the engine and this itself could be the problem. By rights when you have driven a car and certainly when a car is up to normal operating temp both rad hoses should be warm/hot. It doesn't sound right if you one is red hot and the other is cold ?

So I would start with the thermostat next - and sorry to say but they are a right royal pain in the arse to change The thermostat and housing is just behind the bottom rad hose joint.

HTH
Old 22 Sep 2005, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

alright cheers, do u know how i can get a manual? don't really know much about the scooby engine.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Young Scooby

i had same problem as you and now i run mine with no thermostat, dont know of any dangers of this but it runs very cool.
i also suspected head gasket but seems fine now
Old 01 Oct 2005, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i've replaced the thermostat, but that didnt solve the problem but then i had a look around d engine bay while the car was running got a split pipe or somethin under the throtle body leaking coolant lets hope this is the cause.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Re: coolant problem

hi there , did you every find out what the problem was. my k reg wrx, is doing the exact same thing .
Old 22 Aug 2011, 12:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: coolant problem

That guy posted in 2005 fella. Might not even be on here anymore. Best to start a new thread and give as much info as possible on your own prob