Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

GC8 steering wheel rattling vibrating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2018, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

GC8 steering wheel rattling vibrating

Hi The steering wheel is making a vibrating rattling noise which gets worse when it is turned or when accelorating hard, the noise sounds like it is coming from behind the speedometer, Ive had the speedometer out and checked for anything that could be loose and its all tight. The noise does sound like a loose screw. The other thing I have noticed is the car has started to drift left at high speeds since the noise started. I've also checked the gromet for the steering rack which is still in good condition. Any ideas what is?

I've got it booked in to be checked next week and the mechanic suspects its the powersteering rack.

Thanks in advance
Old 28 Mar 2018, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Re: GC8 steering wheel rattling vibrating

wow 174 views.

I've been to 2 garages, one said power steering rack but he never put it on the lift or sat in it, I just explained everything. The other mechanic put it on the lift and inspected everything and couldn't find the problem and said the power steering is working perfectly, he even drove it but there was no noise, he then told me to wait until the noise gets worse then bring it back.
Old 03 May 2018, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

I think I have found the problem, after watching a lot of subaru power steering issue videos on youtube it turns out my power steering pump is leaking, I checked the fluid level and it was almost empty, after filling it up most the noise had gone.

I am now looking for a full rebuild kit which seems to be really hard to get hold of or take a chance on a 2nd hand pump.
Old 13 Jul 2018, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Just in case anyone comes across this post again. I did eventual find the problem, it was the turbo oil return line had come loose causing the pipe below the rubber section to vibrate as the revs built up.

The way I found it was using the Ring oil and powersteering UV kit (link below) and added it to both powersteering and engine oil drove for 20 mins, waited until it was dark and checked with the UV torch.

link Ring UV Dye & UV Torch Kit Leak Detection Fluid For Oil & Fuel (Petrol & Diesel) Leaks RLD4 requires 3 AAA batteries