Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

DIFFERENT DIFFERENCIALS
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2015, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby
 
beejay820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Near Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 58
DIFFERENT DIFFERENCIALS

I have a question about diffs; My '98 Type R has a 4.444:1 diff I believe, but there seem to be two variants, according to what I have read. How can I tell if mine is the R180 or R160? What is the difference anyway?

Are they serviceable, as in, mine's has a knock on overrun and I have be told it's the diff, could a DIY mechanic replace the inboard bearings? Has anyone got one for sale?

Many thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2015, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic
 
alunian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 768
Re: DIFFERENT DIFFERENCIALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay820 View Post
I have a question about diffs; My '98 Type R has a 4.444:1 diff I believe, but there seem to be two variants, according to what I have read. How can I tell if mine is the R180 or R160? What is the difference anyway?

Many thanks.
According to Scabby Net STi's have a R180 and every thing else is R160 link below. Not sure what the difference is other than the STI ones are stronger.

R180 & R160 rear diffs - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com
__________________
Jack Burton, Big Trouble In Little China: This is Jack Burton in the Porkchop Express and I'm talkin' to whoever's listening out there.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2015, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby
 
beejay820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Near Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 58
Re: DIFFERENT DIFFERENCIALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alunian View Post
According to Scabby Net STi's have a R180 and every thing else is R160 link below. Not sure what the difference is other than the STI ones are stronger.

R180 & R160 rear diffs - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com
That's helpful thanks. I was looking at one on Ebay, said to be a R160 from an STi.
I think I'll ask some questions.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2015, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
bugeye_bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK-Earth - Search google maps for "The Stig"
Posts: 4,565
Re: DIFFERENT DIFFERENCIALS

stick your transmission code up, from that there is a table that tells you the ratios and final drive ratio, you then want a diff that matches that final drive .

like this.

Subaru Transmission Chart
__________________
-- .. ... ... .. -. --. / -... ..- - / -. --- - / ..-. --- .-. --. --- - - . -.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2015, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby
 
beejay820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Near Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 58
Re: DIFFERENT DIFFERENCIALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
stick your transmission code up, from that there is a table that tells you the ratios and final drive ratio, you then want a diff that matches that final drive .

like this.

Subaru Transmission Chart
That's a pretty useful chart.

Thanks for that Bob.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2015, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
bugeye_bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK-Earth - Search google maps for "The Stig"
Posts: 4,565
Re: DIFFERENT DIFFERENCIALS

google is great lol
I have a couple of spare diffs sat doing nowt . . .
__________________
-- .. ... ... .. -. --. / -... ..- - / -. --- - / ..-. --- .-. --. --- - - . -.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.