Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Oil Pressure light stays on after oil change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2015, 03:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Oil Pressure light stays on after oil change

Just changed oil on 2012 Impreza Base model 2.0 engine with the usual Mobil 1 0W20. Oil pressure light won't go out. Dipstick says level is spot on. Owner's manual says might have to drive it a bit to get light to go away. Put 4 miles on but it is scary to keep seeing the light. What can I do? Please advise. Thanks,

DH
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2015, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Oil Pressure light stays on after oil change

0-20w Oil ? did you fill the oil filter before fitting?
remove crank sensor and turn engine over until oil light goes out is a typical way to build pressure after a oil change,
some say it isn't needed but for 30 seconds it covers your ass.
Old 10 Nov 2015, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
0-20w Oil ? did you fill the oil filter before fitting?
remove crank sensor and turn engine over until oil light goes out is a typical way to build pressure after a oil change,
some say it isn't needed but for 30 seconds it covers your ass.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

1. No I didn't, first time I heard of this, not sure why but will add this to next oil change procedure.

2. Was still on after initial 4 mile drive. Next day drove 12 additional miles & it went out.

Never happened on my '03 Forester but seems to be more of an issue on newer cars.

Thanks again.

DH
Old 10 Nov 2015, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Damage will already be done, for the oil pressure light to be on then there was pretty much no oil pressure for a fair while (at least your 16 miles lol).
Old 11 Nov 2015, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Damage will already be done, for the oil pressure light to be on then there was pretty much no oil pressure for a fair while (at least your 16 miles lol).

It was the YELLOW "Oil Level Light" that stayed on, the one to the left with the squiggly line under "Aladdin's Oil can". The RED Oil PRESSURE light went out immediately on startup after the oil change as it always does. Perhaps I failed to mention, sorry.

I read a post or article stating that there is an actual float device that turns this light on but sometimes it gets confused. There was always a full dosage of oil before and after the change with no engine running between.

I plan to fill the oil filters in the future AND turn the key to "RUN" position & let it sit there for a minute or so before starting the engine as mentioned around the block(not the engine block, the Subaru forums block)
Thanks,

DH
Old 14 Nov 2015, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

if dipstick level is fine then sounds like a duff sensor.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
if dipstick level is fine then sounds like a duff sensor.
Seems the more I read & the more feedback I get there seems to be a trail of evidence that this can happen if:

1. Oil filter not filled up first.
2. Ignition key is turned on "instantly" immediately after oil change.
3. unk reason but in the owner's manual Subaru states that if this happens to drive it around for even as much as (I forgot the distance!) miles & it should go out. After I put on 16 miles in 2 drives combined it went out.
4. Some issue about being parked on slope. I change oil in garage with level concrete floor.

Beats me, I will use 1 & 2 above next time. I checked my notes & this happened once before on this car but I didn't record how many miles I drove before it went out.

BTW, sorry I first called this the "Oil Pressure Light" on my introductory post, when it actually was the yellow Oil Level Light. My bad there.

Thanks,

DH