Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Oil leak I believe, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2014, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Oil leak I believe, need help

Hi Guys, I am a big subaru fan, and purchased a 06 2.5i non turbo for now due to financial situation. I am planning on buying a wrx when money and time permits.

Anywho, I have recently got a bad oil leak I believe. When I drive and stop at a red light my car will smoke from the hood on the drivers side. When I park and shut off the car, and check it out a few hours later, there will be a puddle of oil I believe it is left as a nice present on the pavement. I took some pictures of where in the engine bay I am finding all of the oil. I brought it to two different garages, and they said " we cannot find the oil leak because there is too much oil down there and we can't see where it is leaking. " . So right now, I cannot find the oil leak, I attempted to clean it up with some oil cleaner, then put some gasket maker in the area it was leaking. It worked temporarily, however the oil leak came back. I am running out of options, and would like help if possible. Maybe this is a common subaru thing if I am experiencing it? I am confident mechanically , however I am not sure if this is a sensor that is leaking, or the side of my engine.

Here are the pictures, as well it is leaking around the lower dipstick area/ oil fill area. The whole bottom where you look down through is covered in oil. I have been filling the car up with extra oil until I get this fixed. There is also a picture of one of the oil patches on the pavement. The coolant in the radiator looks clean, and is still full, and the car runs just as good as ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (97.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (49.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.6 KB, 7 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2014, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Oil leak I believe, need help

thats leaking from behind the cambelt cover from the looks of it
Old 02 Nov 2014, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

It started happening shortly after the clutch was replaced in the car. Think it could be a coincidence ? or have you seen anything similar in any other cars? If it is behind the cam cover, what would you recommend for going about fixing this? I rebuilt a few jeeps previously and wouldn't mind tackling my subaru.
Old 02 Nov 2014, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

take off cambelt cover wouldnt be a bad start, but if i have to suggest this then im not sure you should be working on it,
this would give a better view of where the leak may be coming from, from the picture my guess is camshaft oil seal.
Old 02 Nov 2014, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the input. I like to research everything before I go at it, I rebuilt my 4.0 inline 6, and rebuilt straight axles including setting up gears, not sure why I can't fix a oil leak.
Old 02 Nov 2014, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

you havent really investigated it though have you ?
You have bodged sealant in a place that NO oil should even be never mind leaking,
It is a cambelt cover so 1st thing I would have done before going to 2 garages is look behind that cover,
If you werent confident enough to whip a PAS and possibly a AC belt off to look then removing the cambelt and locking it etc may have been a step too far imo.