Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Grinding/Wheel Bearing Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2014, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Grinding/Wheel Bearing Noise

Hi All.

Anyone experienced this?

I had what I thought was a noisey NSR bearing and changed it a few weeks ago. I stripped the car myself and had a garage press the new bearing in.

On the test drive, the noise hadn't gone away. To my dismay however, there was ALSO a grinding noise now from the same area which seems to go worse when I turn to the right (however small that turn or bend might be).

I asked the mechanic who pressed the bearing (a good trusted friend of mine) to drive the car. He was under the impression that I hadn't fitted it initially (although he knew full well that I had). He agreed that the noise we could hear was coming from the NSR and stated that it sounded like the bearing was knackered. He could not account for the grinding and nothing showed up on the four poster ramp.

Anyone else had this issue? Car is a Sport with brake shoes as opposed to rear pads. There is plenty of life left in the brakes and I am 100% positive that they are adjusted properly.

Thanks, John.

Last edited by Johnny8718; 22 Oct 2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2014, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Grinding/Wheel Bearing Noise

wind the brakes off as far as they go and see if the noise changes,
If the tone of the noise changes as you load and unload the corner id say the bearing fitted may be screwed.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8718 View Post
Hi All.

Anyone experienced this?

I had what I thought was a noisey NSR bearing and changed it a few weeks ago. I stripped the car myself and had a garage press the new bearing in.

On the test drive, the noise hadn't gone away. To my dismay however, there was ALSO a grinding noise now from the same area which seems to go worse when I turn to the right (however small that turn or bend might be).

I asked the mechanic who pressed the bearing (a good trusted friend of mine) to drive the car. He was under the impression that I hadn't fitted it initially (although he knew full well that I had). He agreed that the noise we could hear was coming from the NSR and stated that it sounded like the bearing was knackered. He could not account for the grinding and nothing showed up on the four poster ramp.

Anyone else had this issue? Car is a Sport with brake shoes as opposed to rear pads. There is plenty of life left in the brakes and I am 100% positive that they are adjusted properly.

Thanks, John.
I had the exact same issue turned out to be a poor quality wheel bearing (not a genuine wheel bearing) it had roller bearings instead of ball bearing as seen in my post (click here) If yours is a 3rd party one I recommend you buy a genuine Subaru one click here Import Car Parts
Old 23 Oct 2014, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks to both of you.

I have to admit that the new bearing sounds just as noisy if not noisier than the old one. I did think that this may be the issue from the start but had discounted it for obvious reasons.

I will let you know the outcome.

John.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Would you believe it!

Took it to my mates garage and put it on the two poster ramp. Although the noise appeared to be coming from the NSR, it was the OSR that had gone too!
Old 29 Oct 2014, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

best get your ears checked next then lol
Old 29 Oct 2014, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
best get your ears checked next then lol
Ha Ha. I am of 'that age' now!!