Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

New CAI and Exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2005, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

New CAI and Exhaust

Dear ALL

I am new to this thread so take it easy on me i just bought my New Impreza 1.6TS yes it is 1600 CC with a very slow 0-60 in 12.8 and 95 HP
so i want to change the airflow and install a Cold Air Intake and install a full Decat Exhaust. but i heard that if i did that it might change the air/Fuel Ratio and that can damage the engine. so will i have to make an ECU remap? my problem is i live in Egypt and there is no one in here who can remap the ECU i would even be lucky if i could have a good CAI and Exhaust that works fine. so if i will have to remap the ECU i am thinking of not tuning my car ?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2005, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via AIM to us2nlwrx Send a message via MSN to us2nlwrx
CAI are known to do badly on the turbo imprezas. I'm less familiar with the 1.6 but i have met someone who has one and does have a CAI on it. He has a standard ecu, without a remap. So i'd imagine if you'd get one from a trustworthy company, then it should be okay. The thing about tuning a car is that the first really good modification are some good gauges on which to monitor the engine.
Old 11 Sep 2005, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Another thing is that a lot of CAI actually gain you the most power because they do infact change the air/fuel ratio. The intake leans out the engine, thus giving you more power. That's why a really good CAI costs so much, because so much testing has to be done to have it be that it is actually the air-flow, and not the fooling of the MAF that is creating the extra power. Good-luck with your tuning!
Old 11 Sep 2005, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks

What is the safe amout that the CAI can change the air/fuel ratio without damaging the engine?

and what gagues there i can use. notice that i will never be able to install a turbo?

and is there a gagues that will measgure the air/fuel ratio? i have looked on the net and it is all devices that cost around 300$
Old 11 Sep 2005, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Well on a street car you usually don't want your air fuel ratios above 11.5:1 in your higher load sites. While cruising air fuel ratios will of course be very different.

Unfortunately a ordinary air fuel ratio gauge doesn't help much, and you would need a wideband which tend to be between $240 and $400. I personally have a zeitronix wideband, but my setup requires it...

I didn't mean to scare you in my previous posts, just saying what the optimal thing is. Honestly, i don't think you'll really run into any trouble if you mount a CAI, but anytime you change anything to the engine there's always a risk or a downside and you should be aware of that. It sounds like you've done your research, so just continue that to see what CAI are available, and pick a good one.