Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

suspected engine failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2013, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

suspected engine failure

im not big on what or how a spec of subaru is and i dont know what mods its had done if any i also only have the green sleep i know that the turbo is a td05 turbo but it doesnt have an adjustable wastegate/actuator?? i dont know if this matters. the turbo i bought to replace it does.

So i bought a subaru yesterday there was no smoke all levels seemed correct drove fine but i didnt hoof it and im wishing i had maybe? started drive home id done around 50 miles pottering about so i figured ill see what it had i didnt buy it to drive it like an old lady 24/7 and i was on an open motorway.

put my foot down seemed fine ill not say how fast i was goin but it was rattlein the teeth out of my head needed some tlc so i backed off to realise there was no power engine seemed dead i put pressed clutch down and tried to fire it back up fired straight up but filled the road behind me with smoke not just a little bit of smoke either.

i dipped clutch again and car sat at idle fine but i had to roll quite some way before i got to a suitable place to pull over as i was losing speed i realised i wasnt going to make it so had to put car in 5th and crawl to the layby.

when i stopped i left the to turn off with turbo timer seemed to be idleing fine no nocking no strange noises apart from all the smoke it sounded as it should and after a couple of mins it shut itself off.

i called a friend and i started the car and give it a couple of revs just to be sure i couldnt hear anything really obviously sinister i didnt want to rev it too hard incase it wasnt too bad of an issue and i made it worse.

there is oil in the intake and in the intercooler and from what iv read maybe im wrong the intake seals on the turbo dont generally give out? i have the turbo off and i move the manifold side of of the turbo theres up and down no in and out im guessing its all connected so it doesnt matter which side i check spindle the play will be the same?

under further inspection of the turbo water pipes there seems to be deposits of shit i couldnt tell you what it is looks like flaky bits of rust but i couldnt be sure. i have dont a quikt browse and im gonna try this compression test to get that out of the way but obviously im looking for a bit of light to be possibly shed as a few of the topics iv read with the issue being on of the rings going the engines genuinly seemed to be knocky?

i unfortunately have foolishy bought a turbo suspecting that to be the issue but i fear its probably going to be the rings in which case i need an engine lol any info would be greatly apreciated.

i really do appologise for this wall of text and any grammer issues any help appreciated thanks in advance.

Gav
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2013, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: suspected engine failure

oh dear, there should be no float ie movement on the impellers in the turbo which may well suggest that the shaft seals in the turbo have gone leakage past the shaft seals will result in it making its way in the intake and intercooler it will also leak past into to exhaust and as it burns will create smoke the more smoke the more the seals are leaking. just because you haven't seen shaft seal problems a lot here doesn't mean that's not what your problem is.
smell and colour of smoke out of exhaust will indicate what the problem is
no water loss or overheating indicates head gasket is not your problem thick white smoke
if it was your rings I would expect you to have notice the smoke when you first started car and as you were driving and from your description of turbo and intake tracts I would put my money on the turbo seals
Old 07 Aug 2013, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

so there shouldnt be any play at all? because i was under the impression your allowed a bit of up and down or in and out i cant remember which or are you not allowed any play at all?

edit: the up and down movement isnt too much.

gav
Old 07 Aug 2013, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

as above you dont want it to move besides turn lol
Old 07 Aug 2013, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

so i should get my money back and buy another turbo lol.

edit: done some searching and quite a few people are saying in and out is bad and that up and down is fairly normal as once the turbo gets pressurised oil in it takes up the play? which is apparently normal?

Last edited by subaru1985; 07 Aug 2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07 Aug 2013, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

this is true that that pressurised oil does create a verrry thin layer of oil around the bearing to lubricate it and allow the shaft to float but we are talking thous not millimetres but if you can physically move it a thin layer of oil aint gonna help that kind of movement and the last thing your wanting is to keep trying to run this turbo and the impellers hitting the inner casing because that's when things go down hill fast.
the oil is a concern in the intake side on the engine going through the intercooler which again points to the turbo as ive said before as worn/broken oil rings will not result in it getting into the intake side of the engine. im not saying this is the only problem that unfortunately you have inherited when buying the car but sorting the turbo is your priority just now clean all the intake of oil, clean tho I wud replace the spark plugs as I suspect these to be fouled due to oil in the intake, run the car if you have a suspect oil ring the plug in that particular cylinder will soon become fouled. a compression test suggests its very name by checking the compression ring and valve seating to ensure that the effectiveness of a particular cylinder ie the ability to compress air not for checking the oil rings.
Old 07 Aug 2013, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

put the other turbo on that i got and either thats ****ed too or something else is up car wont boost past like 0.2 now on the gauge oil is being blown out from the dump valve but there was oil in intercooler and i couldnt get it all out.

car just feels shit now though doesnt feel like its boosting well at all and theres still quite a bit of smoke but iv been told ill get this regaurdless.

iv been told to take out dipstick while engine is running and if its blowin smoke out of there then its possible rings so iv done this and there is very faint compression i can feel on my finger but now visible smoke so im guessing thats not the case?.

exhaust is blowing a bit due to a flange that i cant pick up til tomorrow but anyone got any idea what the prob could be? i know the old turbo had a set actuator and this one has an adjustable actuator would this make any difference any checks i can do for this power issue?
Old 07 Aug 2013, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok, sort one problem at a time your not gonna get anywhere m8 you will get slight blowing when you remove oil dipstick this due to the movement of crank and conrods, same as removing oil filler cap movement from camshaft.if you had pressure in the sump it would blown oil dipstick out this is not your problem. forget about oil/compression rings
your car will smoke for a while if its had oil in the exhaust it needs to burn away. oil in the intercooler can only come from the turbo which we knew to be extremely suspect.
it will smoke allow your car to idle and burn excess oil from the initial failure now uv replaced turbo. is there any play in the wastegate ie are you sure it is fully shut and not leaking by loosing boost also double check all hoses are fully tight and not leaking.
Old 07 Aug 2013, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

how would i check the wastgate was shut?
Old 07 Aug 2013, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

make sure there is no back and forth movement on the actuator rod with your hand
Old 07 Aug 2013, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

is this when the engine is started or turned off?? and if i can move it what then?
Old 07 Aug 2013, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

engine switched off so you don't burn yourself the wastegate shudnt start to open until full boost is reached excess is then recirculated back into inlet side of the turbo if there is movement then some boost will bypass back into the inlet side on turbo it would need to be adjusted to take up the play. I am trying to keep it simple for you to understand in what can be a complex car if you don't know how it all works
on another note I would recommend you purchase a manual to familiarise yourself with the car so you can get a basic understanding,
Old 07 Aug 2013, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

im a fast learner and generally mechanically minded just havnt had t owork on one of these so im kinda in the deep end ill check for boost leak and the actuator play tomorrow and report back cheers for help so far.

gav
Old 07 Aug 2013, 11:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

no probs m8, we are all here to help each other
Old 08 Aug 2013, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

engine is def gone it wasnt doing it before but now if you rev it with dipstick out it blows out more smoke out the dipstick than it does out the exhaust so i def need an engine anyone know anyone reasonably priced so far all iv got is ebay to go off