Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Replacement Dampers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
MTF
Fresh Scooby

Replacement Dampers

Here's hoping some of you clued up guys can help!

I recently purchased a WRX 300 and have noticed (the much talked about!) knocking rear shocks. The dealer I bought it from kindly offered to replace the offending damper (rear o/s). Unfortunately, while at the garage today I was told by the mechanic that the replacement damper could not be fitted as it was too small by comparison to the n/s damper and for this reason he could not fit it as car will not sit right / ride properly.

In response to this the dealer has said that he will replace both dampers if I contribute 25% of the cost. However, these will be the smaller dampers as he will not pay Subaru prices for like for like replacements. What impact will this change have on handling? I could also replace with an aftermarket solution and have the dealer contibute the same amount towards it.

I am completely stuck as I love the car and want to make sure that nothing happens to compromise the handling but don't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision! Ideas anyone...?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Replacement Dampers

cheeky buggers, assuming recent is within warrenty both replaced with proper shocks and springs. dont accept any substandard parts.

needs be have to reaplce all 4 to keep the balance, kyb agx are decent and not budget breakes for them
Old 22 Jun 2013, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
MTF
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
cheeky buggers, assuming recent is within warrenty both replaced with proper shocks and springs. dont accept any substandard parts.

needs be have to reaplce all 4 to keep the balance, kyb agx are decent and not budget breakes for them
Thanks for a prompt response. Warrenties are something I've never really understood - they never seem to cover anything when you get down to it! I'm more inclined to go down the overarching laws of purchasing any product such as cool off period etc. I love the car and certainly don't want to loose it but could be the best option from a legal standpoint!

I'll have a chat wth the dealer, are you suggesting that he should be responsible for rectifying BOTH sides like for like?

If only the rear are replaced should I think about purchasing for the front off my own back to ensure balance is maintained?

Cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2013, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTF View Post
Thanks for a prompt response. Warrenties are something I've never really understood - they never seem to cover anything when you get down to it! I'm more inclined to go down the overarching laws of purchasing any product such as cool off period etc. I love the car and certainly don't want to loose it but could be the best option from a legal standpoint!

I'll have a chat wth the dealer, are you suggesting that he should be responsible for rectifying BOTH sides like for like?

If only the rear are replaced should I think about purchasing for the front off my own back to ensure balance is maintained?

Cheers

It depends on condition. If one is new and one a bit worn it can throw the driving balance of the car totaly out making it unsafe.

Basicly its need to be repaired to a safe standard, replacing half may not be good enough.