Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

rear whine {strange}

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2012, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

rear whine {strange}

hi guys , im looking for some thoughts on this whine from the rear! its only just started or i have only just noticed, mostly the car only does short trips but i have been on long trips with no problems, its a 2003 standard wrx blobeye, just been on holiday in it approx 180 miles, after 50 miles on cornering it started to get a slight whine then as the miles went on it got louder, but strangely it was off/on and if i pressed the brake or handbrake it would stop instantly? i know the rear discs are ready to be replaced but it sounds exactly like nsr wheel bearing? whilst on holiday we did several shorter trips it never did it but on coming home the same again after 50 miles it started again off/on ? at 50 it was obvious past 70 it disapears...my first thoughts are wheel bearing but i wanted to see if anyone has other thoughts as i have heard of similar noises when rear calipers are sticking? many thanks in advance...
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2012, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Re: rear whine {strange}

I have a similar problem on my NSR only its more of a grinding noise which is on and off, had the whole rear end inspected and it turned out its the wheel bearing which has started to deform the wheel hub, so Im getting a new wheel bearing and the wheel hub reshaped.
Offline   Reply With Quote