Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

crank shaft part no. BCBBC ZIIZ 963877 GA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2012, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

crank shaft part no. BCBBC ZIIZ 963877 GA

Hi there, im trying to repair my imported sti engine, the crank shaft and one con rod have had it. I plan to buy only the bits I need and want no mistakes so really need to know that I'm getting the right bits. I'm not sure of the history of the car so I don't trust that all engine parts are of the sti standard. from what I can gather the con rods are of the classic type (studs and nuts) is this ok for the sti standard ? Also, really want to know if the crank that was in the engine was actually an sti standard crank, the part number is BCBBC ZIIZ 963877 GA
I would prefer to buy second hand parts if possible, so any help I can get to make sure the right bits are ordered would be really appreciated!
Its a driveway project and the weather here is pretty hellish haha...
Cheers in advance, and any other advice is welcome.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2012, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: crank shaft part no. BCBBC ZIIZ 963877 GA

What version is your STi engine ??
If its a version 1~6, then the stud and nut type rods are correct - version 7 onwards went over to the bolt type rod.

The WRX and STi share the same crank ( apart from the version 9 STi and spec C which has a nitrided crank) and the number you quoted above is not a part number but breaks down as:
BCBBC is the main bearing journal size for the factory selective bearings.
ZIIZ is the big end journal size ---------------//-------------------.
963877 GA is a casting/process number.

You need to weigh the other 3 good rods (without the bearings) so you can weight match a replacement rod.

hope this helps
Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for that dogbone, that's helped a lot. I'm now pretty confident I have the version 3. And that I don't need a nitride crank, which might save me a few quid !

Do you know why the new age connecting rods are better than the classics?

Also, when ordering an uprated oil pump they ask me what size I need - 11 mm , 12 mm , 13 mm. can you tell me if I'm measuring the right part when I measure the centre of the pump coupling (where the crank shaft connects) ??

Thanks again
Old 15 Sep 2012, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

No worries on that - the weak point on the classic rods are is the stud and nut for retaining the big end cap, seen plenty which have failed on the shoulder of the thread.

You need to measure the width of the oil pump gears to find out what size pump you have and the size should be stamped on the front of the pump too.

version 3 should have a 10mm pump as standard and that will be fine as a replacement - dont go for a larger pump unless you build the engine to suit the larger pump eg bearing clearances/AVCS heads etc.