Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

blue smoke help bad boost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2012, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

blue smoke help bad boost

hi guys i got my clasic impreza import on the road tuesday and it was great until last nite all turned bad first it judder in boost at about 6-9psi boost wont go over 10 psi it just holds back and splutters so i got the boost hoses off and clened all intercoller hoses and solinoid via spraying in brakeclaener while it is in test mode it didnt work still had same problem thinking intercooler is shot as finns are in a bad way bent etc but then it got even worse blue smoke on start up this morning idle and after pulling off its really bad so i dont no if my turbo is seen its day. its smooth off boost no misfire or anything guys any help or ideas are helpfull thanks in advance
my specs
blitz dump vale
standered turbo and acculator and intercooler
has a aftermarket airfilter not sure wot
standerd engine ecu and sensors

any help please only had the car on road 3 days thanks

Last edited by mikesscobby; 17 Aug 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2012, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: blue smoke help bad boost

how long as the car not been on the road ?
Old 17 Aug 2012, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi mate thanks for reply been off the road since nov 11 so it never really got a good drive it was run and moved etc after new pistos went in 2day I found after taking the pipes off the turbo found oil in both sides entry pipe and exit if this helps thanks
Old 17 Aug 2012, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Could be the turbo seals
Old 17 Aug 2012, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi mate thanks could this also be causing my juddering under boost also thanks mike
Old 18 Aug 2012, 04:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

if its blue smoke you might have fried one of the piston rings. best to get the compression tester on it first before going made on striping it down if the compression is all good then take it from there. warm the engine to do the compression check and on turning the key put your foot down on the gas pedal so the throttle is open and befor doing this pull the fuel fuse or relay out and disconnect the coils.

if its been standing for some time clean the restrictor pill on the boost solenoid if its a 3 port solenoid it in the bottom pipe right on the first bend if its 2 port its in the small pipr on the actuator where the T is.

FROM WORKS THE REAL DEAL.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

So because there is blue smoke it Has to be the rings ?
You talk some Shite at times, it could be few things but you jump in yet again with the scare tactics, I suppose yet again you have an engine cheap he can buy ?
Old 18 Aug 2012, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ok. I have just rebuilt tHis with pistons and rings hAd a holed piston was N me wayo me dads today to comp test and car dIed on me. At the lights aNd. Woulndnt start I gave It a few minsIt started souUNded strange tho so toke home I did have turbo out. ANd fount 2 fins brolen on ex auSt wheel presume turbo. Became uNbalcend and blew a bearing so a New turbo is def needed so cOmp test tomorro to be sure I'll let u no wots wot any1 no wItCh fuse to pull as its a jap impot and fuse location in jap also I've cleaned solinoId Its clear as brake clener came out Of all pipes. WhIle it was clicking thanks for your replys
Old 19 Aug 2012, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Any ideas. Why It cut out and didn't start its neva done that starter cranked but no fIre up till 2 miNs after theN fine also Out as I pulled on 2 my dRIve not tryed. starting again yet dunO but it sounded rough oN It has eNough oil thanks.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

have you decat`d the up pipe?
its common for them to break up and cause the issues you have had.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi its beenn decated by the guy before me
Thanks
Old 20 Aug 2012, 02:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Sorry i forgot you reserved the rights to butt in to other peoples posts on every thread you send a post to.

And i do have loads of engines what should that have to do with you or this thread ?

So any one who you think chats shite with you super brains i suppose you are here to correct every one. Can you keep you personal do do and thick ideas to yourself and not butt in to other peoples posts. And concentrate on the thread.
Every ones here to help and do you understand the word (might be) no body is telling the chap to strip the engine down read my post.

Its Just a compression test to make sure the engine is ok. Fresh built engine is very easy to go wrong if not run in carefully first.

So if it was a shattered ring and he spends money on a turbo and so on thats ok rather then using a £10 compression tester that would makes sense to you.

and i donít need to use tactics so keep your imaginary thoughts to your self. I donít have a problem selling Scooby bits am doing over 300 items a month. And i always have 4 to 6 scoobys in my workshop having some thing don and happy customers. lol

Old 29 Aug 2012, 10:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi done a compression test on the engine had 3 cylinders at 175 psi and 1 at 150 psi on number 3 cylinder all plugs usual deposits (no oil ect) I fitted second hand turbo from japan but it will not even boost now i am going to make sure eveything is right also noticed a water leak running down passager side of the sump and the car is overheating but there is still water in the header tank while i took it out for a test run today removed header tank cap it was extremely pressurised also there is a loud knocking noise could this be down to the water pump and to top it all off it still has the smoke problem. Do we think its time to call it and look for a new engine ?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

175 on 3 and 150 on the 4th is an issue looks like theres your problem.
Old 01 Sep 2012, 06:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

And people say i chat shite.

Compression test results should be within 10% yours are showing just over
14% number 3cylinder is the common one which frictions up first. but according to you info in the posts it looks like you havenít used the car much so it shouldnít really be a big difference in the compression test. Even thou 150 psi is considered as good compression. have you been flooring the car without running the engine in ? next step do a down leak test on the cylinder which has less compression and see if there is any air coming out where the oil goes. And what kind of percentage you losing on the gauge.

You mentioned a (loud knocking noise could this be down to the water pump) i have never heard a water pump make a knocking noise it will make more of a grinding nose when the bearings worn out. The knocking noise normally be the big ends commonly on cylinder number 3. Who built the engine? And was the crank oiled and torque down properly according to the book?

Is the noise knocking or tapping noise have you checked your injector connectors if they all on properly. Are all of the injectors working properly and not 3 out of 4 if you got no tools to check them take each connectors of and start the engine the one that doesnít make a difference its down. If this is the case your engine wonít run right.

Other possibility one of the shims flied out the head try putting a video up of the noise.

(Blue smoke) could be that oil is leaking past your piston rings and getting into the engine cylinder and mixing with your fuel and ultimately burning along with the gases the leakage is getting compressed with the gas in the combustion chamber and the burned oil makes the blue smoke. Back pressure from the crank casing can push oil in various ways.

Or oil could be interring from valve stem seals if harden due to to much overheating. Was valve stem seals changed when the engine was built?

Even possible cylinder head crack if not torque down properly or if previously over heated and not skimmed and pressure tested. Get a sniff test don as well go for the cheaper options first.

(Turbo seals gone) bearing noise and you would have oil dripping on the exhaust side of the inter cooler when you take the pipe off if its only miner oil vapours creating a oil ring when you take the pipe of thatís fine itís not the turbo. All so all of you plugs will be wet with oil and fuel mixed on them not just 1 or 2.

(If turbo keeps blowing) week compression or broken ring land. Excessive crank case blow by can push your oil back up the return line and in to the turbo and cause the seals to pop.

you mentioned the water leak chek the 2 heater matrix pipes on the passenger side are not lose just under the inter cooler.

I would find out where the noise is coming from first.
I hope this keeps you busy find out the problem before you give up once you find out about the noise and how the oil is entering in to the cylinders you will know what you need to do. All so you havenít took of a TD04 Turbo and replaced it with TD05 by mistake and the boost is gone worse.

Last edited by ccsworks; 01 Sep 2012 at 06:38 AM.