Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

grinding noise from rear??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

grinding noise from rear??

ive got a weird grinding/scraping noise coming from the rear near the wheel it only happens when I accelerate ive taken the wheel off and cant see any signs of anything that could be causing it. could it be diff wind up as I had a puncture last friday and just had new tyres fitted yesterday or could it be the fuel pump on its way out since it only happens when I accelerate?

thanks in advance
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2012, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: grinding noise from rear??

does it happen when you corner? could be the rears scrubbing on the arches if the suspension is on its way out and going soft.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

its never happened when corning only in a straight line and its temperamental. The suspension seems fine, no excess body roll.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Angry Re: grinding noise from rear??

ok, just had the car checked over and found that the bolts holding the exhaust shield on had snapped clean off so they removed it thinking that may have been the problem.

The noise had gone away but after a few miles it came back. I have an idea of what it is, im thinking its the NSR wheel bearing (thats where the noise is coming from), what I've noticed with the previous owners receipts is a NSR wheel bearing replaced (this was back in 2010) and its done by the same garage "Mr Tyre" that put the wrong grade oil in. It seems every problem I've had with this car goes back to previous jobs before I owned.

So my next question: is a non genuine wheel bearing ok to use or should I try and get old of a genuine wheel bearing?
Old 11 Aug 2012, 05:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

wheel bearing noise wont come and go the more you push the pedul the loader it will go after 40 or 50 the noise will increase press the clutch in if its the wheel bearing the noise will be still there and you will here it better and loader as you increase speed.

but if the noise changes when you put the clutch in like a rattling noise you might need to get the diff looked at ether way it will need to go on a 2 poster ramp to check the noise been a 4 wheel drive its pointless jacking it up you wont be able to turn the wheel unless all the wheels are in the air to here the noise.

It shouldn't be making noise if it was changed 2 years a go if it was put in properly.

FROM WORKS THE REAL DEAL.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsworks View Post
wheel bearing noise wont come and go the more you push the pedul the loader it will go after 40 or 50 the noise will increase press the clutch in if its the wheel bearing the noise will be still there and you will here it better and loader as you increase speed.
yes it gets louder as I increase speed

Quote:
but if the noise changes when you put the clutch in like a rattling noise you might need to get the diff looked at ether way it will need to go on a 2 poster ramp to check the noise been a 4 wheel drive its pointless jacking it up you wont be able to turn the wheel unless all the wheels are in the air to here the noise.
I 1st jacked it up because I had a puncture, the tyre blew from the back so I was making sure nothing was rubbing up against it. When I got the car checked over it was put on a lift with all wheels off the ground.

Quote:
It shouldn't be making noise if it was changed 2 years a go if it was put in properly.
Yeah it shouldn't be doing it if it was done properly but another theory is the spare wheel is only 16 inches and the others are 17 inches, with the weight\balance of the car being uneven due to the spare wheel it possible the bearing has been crushed. Im going back to get it looked at again.
Thanks for the info.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Yesterday morning I went back to the garage, the mechanic drove the car with me in it and he did a series of left and right turns through the estate, sods law the noise didn't happen until I was about 1 mile from home, so I turned right into a junction to go back and the noise went away. It seems to come back during long distance drive or approximately 20+ miles. When I was on the way to stockton-on-tees (dropped of for respray) the noise came back so I pulled into Shell service station near Durham checked it over and nothing, however when I pulled away the noise had gone and didn't return until I got to Stockton-on-tees.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Its been confirmed the wheel bearing needs replacing, its going to cost more in labour than the part. At least its not the rear diff