Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Bust Rad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2012, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Bust Rad

Well had the WRX about 3 weeks and it broke already

supposed to have warranty with it but thats another issue im having issues with the dealer... apparently the rad isnt part of their warranty that covers "engine and gear box.."

i drove to work the other day (not overly quick) and i arrived with no issues... as i pulled up to the barrier and wound down my window to swipe in to the car park.

As the window came down i noticed a funny smell as i went in to the car park i noticed steam coming out of the bonnet.... oh good!

when i parked i opened the bonnet and spotted this:

The left side of the engine was covered in water spray

After then end of my shift i had a long discussion with Bugeyebob and decided that id limp it home after topping up the bottle on the side of the rad as the rad was full.

Got it back with no issues and set about the fix, ordered a new rad and it turned up the next day. Got the car up on the ramps, got the new rad out ready to change and noticed that the new one was missing the filler spout... called the company and they had sent me the wrong one!.. Luckily i hadnt drained all the coolant out before i spotted the difference.. part supplier admitted their supplier had made a mistake and had to wait for another one to come the next day.... wasnt amused..

Anyway finally got the new one delivered and set about fitting the new one, the old coolant was a mess... full of rad weld and looked like it had sand in it there was that much.

old rad was in a mess:

and when i got it out i found the problem:

nice crack in the rad, also the whole rad had bowed out id shape! the sides were curved where they are supposed to be straight!

new one went in without error and got it filled and sorted out, again thanks to BugeyeBob for talking me through the bleeding process. I thought i was going to blow the dam engine up as it was getting so hot but he was correct with his process...

now all running ok and checking the coolant levels daily to make sure its ok
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Bust Rad

i wouldn't drive it with a leaking rad mate, small holes have a habbit of become big holes without warning and that could take out your engine.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

glad you got it sorted in the end lol
Now your brakes !
Old 31 Jul 2012, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I wouldn't have normally Tidgy but i cant leave it at work due to security and the recovery i have wont do anything if the car can be driven..

I checked the rad was full and topped up the breather tank and i stopped a couple of times on the way home to make sure it was still full of coolant but i was a very gentle drive :s

seems fine now tho

thanks Bob, yeah brakes next
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2012, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrt_wrx View Post
I wouldn't have normally Tidgy but i cant leave it at work due to security and the recovery i have wont do anything if the car can be driven..

I checked the rad was full and topped up the breather tank and i stopped a couple of times on the way home to make sure it was still full of coolant but i was a very gentle drive :s

seems fine now tho

thanks Bob, yeah brakes next
i would have said it wasn't driveable myself but as bob said glad its sorted