Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Transmission Swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2012, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Transmission Swap

Tomorrow night (Thursday) I will be picking up a used 2006 (I believe) Impreza 2.5l wagon. I want to do a Transmission swap when I get the funds, hopefully to a WRX or STI 6 speed manual transmission, but I have a few questions before I consider it anymore.

First off, I'm new to Subaru's. How readily availible are replacement parts, and how expensive can I find them? Also, where would the best place to be to find them.

Secondly. How much of a pain will the transmission swap be from automatic to manual, and should I have anything special on hand?

third, Do I need to do anything else to the engine first (I.E will the drivetrain hook ups match on the standard 2.5l mounts)?

Fourth I want to do an engine swap at some point to a WRX or STI too. Where can I find a reputable reseller of new engines that isnt too expensive? What about Transmissions?

I grew up on manuals, and I cant picture an impreza without just because of thinking of WRX / STI's.
Offline   Reply With Quote