Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

2001 Impreza Wagon I sport fuel consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2012, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

2001 Impreza Wagon I sport fuel consumption

Hello,

I am a new person to Subaru (1500CC FF AT) and I recently acquired one second hand because I thought that my city consumption would not be so different from the listed (specs_DOT_amayama_DOT_com/specs-subaru-impreza-wagon-2001-november/27726/) 15kpl ie 35.6 mpg.

However I was shocked when the first time I measured its consumption over 362km (after service) it gave me 8.6kpl ie 20.2mpg. Which is just 1 kpl better than the 2000cc V6 1997 Toyota crown I was driving before!

I would like to think something is seriously wrong and it can be fixed. I will be greatful if you can help me identify normal/average fuel consumption and other things I could do to better it.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2012, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: 2001 Impreza Wagon I sport fuel consumption

Well firstly the fact its a 1.5litre engine the body to heavy for an engine that small to move it around, and the automatic trans does not help either but if it says you should be getting more MPG it should live up to what it says are you heavy footed? maybe a problem with thermostat if engine been overcooled all the time the temp needle will read that the water coolant temp running cold when engine warmed up fully, a faulty o2 sensor and coolant temp sensor, have the tyres inflated every 2weeks to the proper pressure as under inflated tyres will cause lower MPG and service it regularly
Old 14 Feb 2012, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Is it only me or 20mpg for a 1.5 litre 4 cyliner car very alarming?

Coz it is from this answer that possible solutions can be derived. I do not think I am heavy footed and from what other people say, I drive too carefully. I am just baffled how 35mpg can go as low as 20mpg in city traffic!

I get the feeling faulty oxygen sensor is quite expensive to replace. Apart from the heaviness of my foot, are there some starting checks/replacements i can do before I escalate to the expensive ones?

I read somewhere online about how reseting the ECU when you change fuel quality can adjust fuel consumption. Does this work? how is it done?
Old 14 Feb 2012, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Take it to a garage to get the emissions checkd if it fails might be the 02 sensor not v expensive just a sensor on exhaust might be that try to run it on highest octane ron rating as possible might have to get pluggd in to reset ecu
Old 14 Feb 2012, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thank you for your response. Will start with the cheaper options and upgrade slowly
Old 14 Feb 2012, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Glad to help keep us updated ",