Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help needed please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2012, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Help needed please

Hi i decided that i wanted to try and fit my newer turbo and equal headers today. Wasnt as easy as i would have hoped from above (turbo) or below both turbo and headers, bolts on headers are solid and cant seem to get to the bottom bolt on the turbo from above or below? Anyway i decided as the light was fading to put all back on inc tmic and air filter etc. In doing this when i tried to start the car she will now not start???? My first question is could somebody help me with the hoses, im guessing i may have put them back on the wrong way. Or could there be a chance that the immobiliser has kicked in some how when the car was jacked up in the air, as silly as this sounds the alarm was randomly going off on its own when the car was jacked up? I know its a pain but if anyone could list the hoses ie which one goes to actuator from boost solenoid and where the others on the boost solenoid go that would be great, im sure ive got them the wrong way round Regards Gareth
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2012, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Help needed please

Flat battery
Old 29 Jan 2012, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Batt is fully charged. :-/
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Any other suggestions with this one anyone, wld be greatly appreciated
Old 01 Feb 2012, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

CobbTuning.com - How Subaruís Factory Boost Control System Works this might help ya pics here, is the engine turning over at all? if not you didnt take off any earth straps did you? gearbox earth strap engine earth strap????????
Old 01 Feb 2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Wow thats really good viewing. Only issue is my car is a 95 jdm. So hoses run from boost solenoid on left of bay, to manifold and to actuator and so on. Ive fully charged battery and made sure fuel in the car. Im gunna try resetting ecu incase thats frozen or something. Didnt touch any earth points. Only thing i did was remove air filter, tmic, bolts.from around top of turbo. Removed actuator and also the coolent hose and oil feed from turbo. That was it? Somethings telling me its the immobiliser but im just a novice with these things. Regards Gareth
Old 05 Feb 2012, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi all, is there anything else i could try with this problem? Pumps working, fuel being.pushed thru car. Compression test was done about 4 wks ago and was spot on for yr 95 jdm. Car hasnt been driven in january due to sorn. Like say no earths removed, only part of car removed and not replaced was metal housing for turbo and bracket joining header bolts to block below the actuator. In bit of a situ now as need car for next wkend, if anyone knows how i can reset the alarm/immobilisor as this has to be the fault as cant see anything else. Its a toad ai606 system. Regards Gareth
Old 10 Feb 2012, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi just wondering if anyone can help with this? Car still wont start. Since last post ive cleaned up one of the earths, cant unbolt the gearbox one. Ive unplugged and plugged back the cam and crank.sensors, ive also unplugged and plugged bk the icv and the idle switch. Put more fuel in incase was too low, removed top fuel hose from filter and fuel running thru to injectors. Checked batt this am and its fully charged. Ive unplugged and plugged back in the alarm/immobiliser all to no avail? This is the second scooby ive had that has just stopped working for no apparent reason, sadly its pushing me away from them slowly if anyone can help id really appreciate it. Regards Gareth
Old 10 Feb 2012, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

sounds like your good at breaking them then, have you had a plug out and on a HT lead to check for a spark?
a faulty cam or crank sensor will stop it sparking/starting,
is it the standard subaru alarm system or after market, typically if you have fuel being pumped then its not the alarm,
drag it into a expert if that fails and dont touch it again if you break them.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thing is both have been early classics so im expecting the parts to be slowly failing, i dont break them, the mods ive done have been basic to a degree. Ive owned turbo cars before and never had issues with them, just seems to have been my last 2 impreza's. Just doesnt make sense how one day theyre running fine, the next it wont start when all ive done is removed bolts from turbo. Could i ask, is there a constant charge going to both the sensors or are they on like a smart system only drawing power when needed? Ill get the multimeter on them. Regards Gareth
Old 10 Feb 2012, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Sorry its a toad ai606 system, was installed 10 years ago and not sure how often its been serviced by toad.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

you messed about with the tubby....correct?..

have you put the pipes on the correct way to the solanoid,is the solanoid plugged in??

another cause of falier to start,is a plug,on the early classics iro the icv,under the tmic,check that plug,(think it's grey)..had a prob not unlike yours with a mates classic about 6 years ago..
Old 10 Feb 2012, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi all i did was take the air filter and pipework out, start to get the turbo out, literally removed the top 4 turbo bolts and the bolts off the header pipework. I did remove the silcon hoses from the boost solenoid. It would help me if you could advise where the pipes go ie pipe off bottom of solenoid to inlet etc etc. Prior to this i tried to cure the slightly high idle so took the icv off and cleaned internals, replaced gasket and put bk on. I did notice today that the plug wasnt pushed on fully so have done this now but still no start.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Try a reset and try to start it then
Old 10 Feb 2012, 04:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

do you have a spark ?