Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

The effects of wrong tire size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2012, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

The effects of wrong tire size

Hi everyone,

Here is my story, I got my scooby a few months ago (in Switzerland) and its a 1999 GT turbo (I think its called a 2000 in the uk) hence a classic shape.

Anyway I never paid much attention to the tire size till I realised last weekend it was fitted with 205/55 R16 instead of 205/50 R16.

I noticed this because I was shopping for winter tires second hand and the ones I found the bloke told me that 205/50 's are the standard recommended size for my 1999 scooby since he had the same model as mine.

Anyway after looking at the cars specification it is indeed made to have 205/50's and not 205/55's.

After putting my winter tires on I did an ECU reset (I always do this when the least parameter changes) and the car is running so much better than before and I seem to have improved on torque low down (something the car was oddly lacking before). I guess he effects of 55 instead of 50 are the following:

- Wrong speedo reading
- ABS management is affected
- Handling ?
- ECU mapping is also affected

What do yo guys think? Had anyone else has the same strange experience of wrong tire size fitted to their scooby

Cheers

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2012, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: The effects of wrong tire size

Gearing may be slightly affected
Offline   Reply With Quote