Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

some help with romraider remapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2011, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Exclamation some help with romraider remapping

Hi lads some help please what the difference between Tactrix cable, VAG COM cable, . Is there any difference in the pins or is it just a normal 16 pin cable which goes on the obd2 port that you normally use to read data from ecu . And has any one used romraider software to flash a ecu on the new age wrx models. And is it possible to copy files from a similar ecu from same model wrx prodrive or are the files encrypted buy the dealers when you get the ppp pack. Or is it best to save the normal wrx ecu files and then save the files from the ecu which is already been mapped buy dealers with the ppp pack and program the difference in the normal ecu. Many Thanks in advance any info is well appreciated.

From Works The Real Deal.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2011, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: some help with romraider remapping

you will NOT be able to map your car with a OBD2 lead, you will need a tactrix, I have a spare if your after a proper 1,
you do NOT use romraider to flash your ecu either, if honest you need to do some reading or you could end up with a house brick ecu,
sorry if that offends but its easy to cock it all up.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 04:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
you will NOT be able to map your car with a OBD2 lead, you will need a tactrix, I have a spare if your after a proper 1,
you do NOT use romraider to flash your ecu either, if honest you need to do some reading or you could end up with a house brick ecu,
sorry if that offends but its easy to cock it all up.

Hi sorry meant altering files with romraider I have 3 maps for new age wrx normal which is 215 bhp and low octane 255 bhp and then last map is 308 with hi octane depending on the upgrades as well. This disc is for my personal car if I need to put the stock ecu back to normal or which ever three stages I have on disc. and yes please give me a price on the tactrix cable including posting to Birmingham. Is there a disc with it or can I just download the ecu flash software from the main tactrix website. And is there a microSD slot. Sorry for to many question I have three garages I manufacture body kits in one and the other is new parts a to z and in the third one I just break subarus rebuild engines, and a lot of jig work and I got people doing my head in on remaps with small upgrades thatís the reason am trying to get around this cant send them to dealers each time to get a prodrive pack at 1600 + vat just under 2000 grand all in and what are you getting with it prodrive exhaust a silicon house for the inter cooler and a map on the standard ecu. Many thanks for the reply and no offence taken I need all the help I can get and is really appreciated.

From Works The Real Deal.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2011, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

No sd slot on a tactrix cable im afraid so not sure about that, the lead with recorded P&P would £90, all the software needed will be on a disc, inc drivers for the cable,
Im not sure why you really want a million maps as the ecu will adjust for crap fuel but thats up to you,
Id go for the worst fuel you use and map it to that, you know it wont hurt owt and your not going to be swapping maps on the fly,
I do have a few maps but 1 is just for the MOT as the they need to rev it on the spot, my normal map wont allow this properly and I also have a mates map I drop on if anyone else is borrowing it or if its in for any work, low boost map like a valet mode really.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

my advice is don't. mapping is as much an art as it is a skill. Even apply a flash map can spit out your crank in seconds. (know someones car who did that)

company up my way did it, out of 20 cars known to be mapped 7 spat out there engines, 5 had to be remapped to run safley, the others are unknown as to outcome.

Messing with a map isn't a good idea when you don't know what your doing, sounds like you may save yourself some money, but you could end up with a big repair bill.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

wonder where Damien and simon are now lol
Old 14 Dec 2011, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
wonder where Damien and simon are now lol

dunno, they seem to have been keeping a very very low profile lol