Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

MY STi VRE 3 LOAST BHP HELP!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2011, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy MY STi VRE 3 LOAST BHP HELP!!!!

hello all, first post here here's whats up. .

my 97 sti seems to have lost around 80 horses and i can't seem to get them back. .

1 year ago i put my scoob into "the garage" over in motherwell Scotland for a health check and to get a manual boost controller fitted as I was experience lots of overboost . . . .They found the clutch was slipping at 5,500 revs, which I already had found out by myself, so they turned the boost down after fitting the MBC to protect the clutch till I could afford to get a new one fitted. . .

since I have had new clutch fitted I have it running 1.2bar and on the cusp of fuel cut (sometimes still getting boost spikes at 1.5 bar +) and it just doesn;t throw me back in the seat anymore like it used to do. I;d even go as far as saying it would struggle against a standard wrx. .

I have fitted new spark plugs, had new maf fitted and cleaned out the boost solenoid but its still frustrating me! any ideas as to why I've lost so much power???

thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2011, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: MY STi VRE 3 LOAST BHP HELP!!!!

anybody have an opinion please?
Old 11 Oct 2011, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

using a manual boost controller to stop over boost is a real bad idea. It just hides the problem, not solve it.

has it been remaped?
Old 01 Nov 2011, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
using a manual boost controller to stop over boost is a real bad idea. It just hides the problem, not solve it.

has it been remaped?
no buddy it isn;t remappable as its a version 3. . what you mean by using a manual boost controller just hides the problem???
Old 02 Nov 2011, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

80 horses down I'd suggest to see if the compression figures are down to see if its an internal problem Compression Testing should see similar figures like my V6 sti RA all 4 pots should be very close

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 02 Nov 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by seppy View Post
no buddy it isn;t remappable as its a version 3. . what you mean by using a manual boost controller just hides the problem???
as standard they should not be overboosting full stop. If they are they have a fault. The manual boost control just puts a cap on the boost it hits, it doesn't solve the problem as to why its been overboosting. So all its done is hide the issue not solve it.

Running 1.2 bar without it being mapped for it is very bad, AFR could be way out causing it to run lean or even Det and TBH im amazed it hasn;t let go completley, just hope the compression test comes back ok.

As far as why its down 80 horse theres no way of knowing without it being checked thoroughly.

V3 can have an esl dughter board fitted and then mapped, or you can get a stand alone ecu. I'm guessing the garage didn;t tell you that at the time

My adivse is to get it to somewhere that know what there doing and get it checked out properly, get it checked mechanicly and on the dyno to find out exactly what the AFR's, boost etc is doing.