Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

woeful handling - stock 03 WRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2011, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

woeful handling - stock 03 WRX

now, this maybe just me, as this is the first and only impreza ive driven, but i find the handling terrible, if give absolutely no confidence what so ever, its hard to explain, but its almost like the back end bounces around (going straight and through a bend), and really wollows into bends, though turn in feels good though, and the front seems a bit tighter.

so i decided to look underneath and see if there was anything warn/adrift, but couldnt find anything that immediately caught my eye, the ARB "d" bushes seemed to have a small amount of play, though i cant imagine it would have that much of an affect on it would it?, and the ARB Drop link bars seem to be easy to move from side to side, but again, not knowing enough about the car, not sure if this is entirely normal or not

Is there any common issues suspension wise with the back end?

al9955
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2011, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: woeful handling - stock 03 WRX

Are the Tyres up to the job - a good brand? Fix the anti roll bar and see then?
Old 06 Oct 2011, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

well i did forget to meantion that it does have 2 different tyres on it, 2 goodyears on the back and 2 pirelli's on the front, i should also point out that i drive the car very rarely, its the girlfriends (my daily is a 118i m-sport company car), but she meantioned that if felt as though the handling had got worse, so ive driven it over the last few days and agree that the handling is terrible, i certainly dont remember it being that bad!

so im not totally convinced the tyres make a difference, though i wouldnt rule it out, i may just change the ARB parts as there a quick easy fix, and see what it does.

al9955
Old 07 Oct 2011, 04:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by al9955 View Post
well i did forget to meantion that it does have 2 different tyres on it, 2 goodyears on the back and 2 pirelli's on the front, i should also point out that i drive the car very rarely, its the girlfriends (my daily is a 118i m-sport company car), but she meantioned that if felt as though the handling had got worse, so ive driven it over the last few days and agree that the handling is terrible, i certainly dont remember it being that bad!

so im not totally convinced the tyres make a difference, though i wouldnt rule it out, i may just change the ARB parts as there a quick easy fix, and see what it does.

al9955
Fix those tyres mate, that explains everything i guess
Old 07 Oct 2011, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

The 03 wrx also suffered with poor shocks on the back. Subaru tried to save a few bucks by fitting shitty parts.
Depends how far you wnt to go with this but :
Tyres
Strut brace across the top mounts
Rear Anti Roll bar
Poly bushes
Uprated shocks and springs
Full geomotry setup

The Scoob is an amzing car both performance and handling, it can be made as hard or comfortable as you want it to be and it doesn't have to break the bank !!
Old 07 Oct 2011, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Swap the Tyres front to back and see if it makes any difference. Get the ARB sorted to rule that out
Old 07 Oct 2011, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

tyre pressures make a massive difference, the
arb bushes wont be the issue but wont help,
does the rear feel like its balanced on bumps ? or is it reacting different from side to side and bounce a lot after bumps?(this would show a faulty shocker up),
standard wrx`s always wallow tbh but do ride the bumps well.
Old 07 Oct 2011, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

My 03 suffered the same poly bushes and fitted new better shocks prob solved much better handling and no heart in mouth going round bends fast
Old 08 Oct 2011, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I agree with the shocks issue 100%. I bought a new set of kyb's from camskill and couldn't believe how crap my old ones were in comparison.
Old 08 Oct 2011, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Yeah common fault with the 03, head mechanic at Subaru Baldock told me they were changing them less than 6 months after leaving the show room.