Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

clutch or gearbox?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2011, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

clutch or gearbox?

Hi Guys.

My gearbox seems to drag whilst going into reverse. (Tho not all the time) However, the clutch is not slipping but it is very low to the floor when changing. if i lift the pedal about 10mm off the carpet, it will start to drive off. Is the dragging in reverse because of the clutch? I'm thinking its not fully engaging as its so low. Can you adjust the clutch or the pedal in any way, or do i need a new one?

Cheers, Andy
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2011, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: clutch or gearbox?

check the master and slave cylinder first and the fluid
Old 25 Sep 2011, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Do as shambles mentioned if all good sounds like the presser plate in the clutch is week do you have problems changing the gears are they stiff when selected.

From Works The Real Deal.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Cheers for the replies. Well the fluid is at the right levels, i've checked the master cylinder, tho i'm not entirely sure where it is.... i'm thinking its the unit behind the fuel filter right? It seems to be ok. Everything connected, no leaks etc. The gearbox does not seem that stiff, maybe a little when is cold, but before this, i've been driving autos for the last 10 years....So don't really have to much to compare with other than a beaten up old transit work van.... Seen a few second hand master cylinders off sti's on fleabay for about 20. Are these compatible with a WRX? Or are you guys leaning towards the pressure plate more?