Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Can't engage gears whe engine running!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2011, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Can't engage gears whe engine running!!

Hi all. Just a quick one. Got a clssic 2000 turbo (w reg) 80k at 320 bhp. Changed gearbox oil before Christmas as a routine item and no probs with that. No metal or anything in it.
Tried to move the car this morning and its not engaging a gear ( it just grinds if you push too hard). It wiil engage all gears when the engine isn't running so i was thinking it mighth be time to change the clutch fluid cos its not been changed for ages.
Is there anything else it could be apart from the master and slave cylinders? If its these wheres the best place to get them, how much are they and are they easy to fit (can do brakes and stuff but no hoist for engine etc).

Thanks for your help.
Jim
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: Can't engage gears whe engine running!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo View Post
Hi all. Just a quick one. Got a clssic 2000 turbo (w reg) 80k at 320 bhp. Changed gearbox oil before Christmas as a routine item and no probs with that. No metal or anything in it.
Tried to move the car this morning and its not engaging a gear ( it just grinds if you push too hard). It wiil engage all gears when the engine isn't running so i was thinking it mighth be time to change the clutch fluid cos its not been changed for ages.
Is there anything else it could be apart from the master and slave cylinders? If its these wheres the best place to get them, how much are they and are they easy to fit (can do brakes and stuff but no hoist for engine etc).

Thanks for your help.
Jim
Have look under the intercooler and you will see the clutch fork. Get someone to press the pedal and see if the fork moves. If it does then you can safely assume that the clutch itself is goosed. I assume there is some resistance in the clutch pedal and it feels normal which also supports that it is likely to be the clutch, along with the fact that it goes in gear when the engine is not running. Unless the fluid has completely leaked out of the cylinders, I would think it unlikely that a simple change of fluid will solve the problem. Dependent on where you go, a clutch change cost 400 to 600 and more if you get a performance clutch.
Old 26 May 2011, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

as above - clutch related
Old 31 May 2011, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi all thanks for your replies. I've checked the forks, the fluid and everything else I can think of. Don't think its the clutch itself as it was changed anout 10,000 miles ago and all was well. Managed to get it going by putting it in gear and rolling it dow n the drive. THe clutch then worked as normal. Doesn't judder or smell and has normal resistance in the pedal. Must have stuck on cos its not been used for 4 weeks while on holiday. The local garage says this can happen if put away hot and not used for a while. Anyone else heard of this before now?
Thanks again all!
Old 31 May 2011, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo View Post
hi all thanks for your replies. I've checked the forks, the fluid and everything else I can think of. Don't think its the clutch itself as it was changed anout 10,000 miles ago and all was well. Managed to get it going by putting it in gear and rolling it dow n the drive. THe clutch then worked as normal. Doesn't judder or smell and has normal resistance in the pedal. Must have stuck on cos its not been used for 4 weeks while on holiday. The local garage says this can happen if put away hot and not used for a while. Anyone else heard of this before now?
Thanks again all!
I still think it is clutch related. Likely that the bearing is sticking or something similar. Just cos it was changed recently doesnt mean it hasnt gone wrong. All the symptoms you describe point towards a faulty clutch/fork. It maybe that the bearing wasnt lubricated and that it is sticking. The fact that you can drive it normally suggests mechanically the gearbox and actual clutch is fine, which leaves something sticking on the bearing. You might be able to get some lubrication onto the shaft through the hole where the fork goes in to bell housing, but be very careful you dont get any on the clutch itself.