Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

impreza sport turbo project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2011, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

impreza sport turbo project

ive just picked up a 1999 subaru impreza sport saloon.
ive looked around for answer's involving fitting a turbo but all i get is its not worth the time ect, ect, ect. thats not what i want. if your gunna do that then dont reply.

i need to know if there items will bolts straight on my car yes or no.

wrx manifold / downpipe
wrx intercooler
wrx turbo
wrx ecu....

what other bits do i need to turbo my car????

wastegate?
dumpvalve?
bigger injectors?

i need a list of bits i need.

and will a wrx ecu just bolt in where my one is or will it not fit or work once all other bits are fitted? if i get the bits from a 1999 wrx and fit them there shouldnt be any problems or are the engines differnt? ive been told they are the same..

lists of items and advice please.

no time wasters
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2011, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: impreza sport turbo project

Before the conversion install front turbo brakes and convert the rear to discs. Turbo suspension, a turbo engine, gearbox, wiring loom and the ecu, turbo shafts, turbo radiator, turbo clocks, fuel pump and exhaust system. You best bet is to find a crash damaged turbo model with a decent engine etc and just swap it all over. It can be done with the time and money
Old 19 May 2011, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

when I had my crash at the beginning of March and the car was written off it was sent to a scrap yard/salvage place called copart they run an auction on their website, they sold my car for £200.

Wouldnt mind knowing who bought it so I could buy my old radio back since I have the front and remote for it.

Anyway click here for coparts website >> Copart. use the top search box for the car your after.
Old 19 May 2011, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Got some bloody good buys on there !!
Old 12 Jun 2011, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

alright peeps i just brought a 2003 sti crash damaged car and i'm looking to strip it and convert my sport do i need to change all the looms too or can i leave the sport looms in?? any advice welcome cheers mark
Old 12 Jun 2011, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark84 View Post
alright peeps i just brought a 2003 sti crash damaged car and i'm looking to strip it and convert my sport do i need to change all the looms too or can i leave the sport looms in?? any advice welcome cheers mark

This link will help you convert your sport using 2001-2007 PARTS.

My Swap: 1999RS to 2002WRX. Complete Wiring Guide Inside - NASIOC

Old 12 Jun 2011, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowracer View Post
ive just picked up a 1999 subaru impreza sport saloon.
ive looked around for answer's involving fitting a turbo but all i get is its not worth the time ect, ect, ect. thats not what i want. if your gunna do that then dont reply.

i need to know if there items will bolts straight on my car yes or no.

wrx manifold / downpipe
wrx intercooler
wrx turbo
wrx ecu....

what other bits do i need to turbo my car????

wastegate?
dumpvalve?
bigger injectors?

i need a list of bits i need.

and will a wrx ecu just bolt in where my one is or will it not fit or work once all other bits are fitted? if i get the bits from a 1999 wrx and fit them there shouldnt be any problems or are the engines differnt? ive been told they are the same..

lists of items and advice please.

no time wasters

Mikes right mate its better to drop every thing from damaged wrx including the engine and every thing else heís mentioned The engine on the sports models might look the same but its not the sports engines have high compression pistons the turbo engines are low compression pistons even if you do manage to modify and put all the pits that you have listed on your engine it wont be long before you blow the engine in to bits you need the right pistons and the head gaskets the stock head gaskets are useless. Itís best to change the wiring loom as well on the engine values and do the pin outs on the rest of the ecu connectors to the wrx connectors you will need a pdf on the pin outs for both models and understand what the definition of each terminal is on the wiring. Or better still like mike says change the wiring loom.

From Works The Real Deal.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002pete View Post
This link will help you convert your sport using 2001-2007 PARTS.

My Swap: 1999RS to 2002WRX. Complete Wiring Guide Inside - NASIOC
nice 1 pete lots of info there. to much cutting for my liking tho. think im going to gut my sport and just swap everything overand hope it goes well
Old 24 Jul 2011, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I was wondering if a list of things I will need for a conversion from a 2.0 gx to a newer 2.0 sti or newer 2.5 wrx engine are roughly the same. Not thinking of doing it yet but be good to no what I would need if I wanted to do it at a later stage as I think a uk spec sti wagon would be pretty cool. I imagine as long as I keep the donor car in the newage group things should fit relatively smoothly ?? I need to save and with the list I could eaither each month buy a part or just save up for a crashed donor car. Thanks inadvance guys and girls
Ben