Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help please. Loss of power, loads of smoke.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2005, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
Help please. Loss of power, loads of smoke.

Hi guys, not too sure if i've blown my engine or turbo and wondering if anyone could help me to diagnose?

Basically i was having a "spirited" drive home last night, around 40 miles, and to be fair i was pushing the car a bit, its recently had a remap and its the first decent run i've been on. Anyway, just as i was pulling into my home town i noticed a major loss of power, no turbo pressure, and then a few secs later a some traffic lights the smoke started. Loads and loads of thick smoke pooring out the back!

Anyway, stopped as soon as was safe to, turned engine off and checked oil which was not showing on the dipstick, but it still started and idled very low.

Anyone else done this to theirs or knows what i've done to mine? And would it be safe to drive around 2 miles if i refill with oil to get it back home?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2005, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Buy sounds of things number 3 has let go.....

I say number 3 as this is usually the one that lets go first...

The reason I suspect this is a friend has had exactly the same thing happen to him, same symptoms the lot......

He got a recon engine with stronger rods etc from Forresters circa 2000

Here's a couple of pics of his damaged engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw_adcp_1108_199.jpg (164.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg pw_adcp_1109_849.jpg (105.2 KB, 32 views)

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 17 Jul 2005, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Thankfully i think i've been a bit lucky, towed it home this afternoon adn put another 2 litres of oil in. Started it up and it runs fine, except for the masses of white smoke kicking out the exhaust.

If number 3 had gone it would only run on 3 cylinders and i'm 95% sure this wasnt the case. Going to try and get a second hand, larger turbo sorte and bigger intercooler etc.

Onwards and upwards and all that, knowing my luck though i'll replace the turbo etc and it will still do the same! :shock:
Old 17 Jul 2005, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to mr freeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Wid
Thankfully i think i've been a bit lucky, towed it home this afternoon:
:shock: :shock: you towed it ,! ! ! ! ! ! your not supposed to do that mate , low loader only i'm afraid ..................... other wise you'l reck that diff's plus maybe gear box just for good measure ................... :wink:
Old 18 Jul 2005, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
Might be a god idea to find the reason why the oil was so low.....sounds like oil starvation is the reason the turbo is goosed...........good luck getting it sorted.

chris
Old 18 Jul 2005, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr freeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Wid
Thankfully i think i've been a bit lucky, towed it home this afternoon:
:shock: :shock: you towed it ,! ! ! ! ! ! your not supposed to do that mate , low loader only i'm afraid ..................... other wise you'l reck that diff's plus maybe gear box just for good measure ................... :wink:
Your allowed to tow them upto speeds of 20 mph, or so i was told by the AA. It only got towed about a mile anyway
Old 18 Jul 2005, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion127
Might be a god idea to find the reason why the oil was so low.....sounds like oil starvation is the reason the turbo is goosed...........good luck getting it sorted.

chris
usually if theres loads of smoke thats where the oils gone, turbo is fed by oil once the seals let go you get oil straight into exhaust system.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Knackered Turbos can be the reason for High Oil consumption I'm afraid as per Daves post the oil leaks past the worn seals and straight into the exhaust - hence the clouds of smoke

Hope you get it sorted soon
Old 18 Jul 2005, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Lets hope it is just the Turbo, keep us posted m8

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 19 Jul 2005, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
White smoke sounds like cooling water is somewhere mixing in the wrong place...
Old 20 Jul 2005, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Got the turbo off and i'm 98% certain its just the turbo thats knackered. Oil in the intercooler and inlet side of the turbo :

Started to do a compression test on cylinder 3 yesterday adn realised it wasnt such a good idea half way through as i've got 2 wheels on the ground and didnt want to knacker the viscous or transmission. But noticed when i removed the spark plugs that they were all covered in oil.

Counting myself very lucky, but dreading putting the new turbo on and finding out it does need major engine work too! :x

Anyway, just trying to find a decent recon td05 at the mo, may aswell upgrade the turbo as the td04 is knackered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turb2_617.jpg (241.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg turb1_189.jpg (253.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 21 Jul 2005, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Lets hope thats all it is :roll:

Recommend fitting oil temp and pressure gauges now, and regularly keep an eye on whats happening on them :wink:

Buzz
Old 27 Jul 2005, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Update:

Not good at the min, literally just finished fitting a new turbo, VF30. Got it to start and there's still loads of smoke! :cry:

I think its down to one of 2 reasons at the min.
1) Engine oil very overfilled. After the turbo let go i put around 2.5 litres in thinking it was very low on oil. After checking the dipstick it looks like there's about a 1.5 litres too much in there.
2) The piston rings are fooked! :cry: :cry:

I started the car earlier with the downpipe disconnected from the exhaust, ran it for a few mins thinking it might be just buring off the excess oil still in the inlet side of the engine. Switched it off and went to refit the downpipe and theres quite a lot of oil now underneath the car, its being thrown out the exhaust still.

The other thing i'm thinking at the mo i that if the piston rings were knackered in one cylinder, surely it wouldnt run on all 4 cylinders?

More tomorrow when i've drained some oil
Old 28 Jul 2005, 04:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Looks like you were right all along peteruk300!

Drained some oil and have now run it for a few mins, the smoke is no where near as bad now, but, it is miss firing and pulling the ht lead of for No.3 makes no difference to how the engine runs, disconnect any other ht lead and it runs even worse. I also ran the engine and took the oil filler cap off, and its very clear now that there's no combustion going on in that cylinder, and any pressure is getting past the rings and into the oil side of the engine :cry:

Anyone know of anywhere to get a good cheap engine?
Old 30 Jul 2005, 11:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Just done a compression test on it:-

Cylinder
1= 125 psi
2= 0 psi
3 = 125 psi
4= 130 psi

So it wasnt the dreaded no.3 after all. As there's no compression at all in no.2 i'm thinking it must have blown a hole in the top of the piston. I wont know for definate until i get the engine and and remove the head on that side, but there's not much else it can be really, if it was piston rings and pressure was leaking down the side of the piston i'd be getting some pressure, just at a very low level