Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help High Oil pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2005, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Help High Oil pressure

Hi

I imported a wrx from japan and picked it up yesterday, when the car is turned on the turbo oil pressure goes straight into the red, the car looks like it has been looked after and recently serviced. when i drove the car for a while i could smell burning and there seemed to be some smoke coming from around the turbo area. Could this be a sensor or has the turbo had it ?

ANy help would be great.

cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2005, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Has does the car feel when driving it though and if you've been on boost how does it feel then ??

Don't be misled though the smoke you are seeing may well be from the rocker cover gaskets - these are well known to go on the earlier Scoobs. Because of the Flat 4 design the oil leaks out and drips onto the downpipe and you get oily smoke..... When mine had gone it looked like it was coming from the Turbo area. Best to get both done if they are gone as it will only be a matter of time before the other goes (if it hasn't already). Are you getting any smoke from the exhaust ??

I can't really comment on the pressure - anyone else got any ideas ??
Old 05 Jul 2005, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Oil pressure, on mine when first starting I got max pressure on gadge about 6 bar. dropped to 2 bar when hot.
Old 05 Jul 2005, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Oil pressure, on mine when first starting I got max pressure on gadge about 6 bar. dropped to 2 bar when hot.
Its normal to be reading max at cold temps bob?
Old 05 Jul 2005, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cheers lads,

Problem sorted... looks like when customs were going though the interior they removed the gauges and hooked them up wrong, once i disconected them its going much better ... looks like the old gauges are fried .

Thanks
Mike
Old 05 Jul 2005, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Its normal to be reading max at cold temps bob?
I have noticed a differance in oil pressures with the differant oils I have used especally now I have the oil cooler. Semi synthetic gives high pressure when cold about 6 bar but when hot drops to 1.2-1.5 bar Fully synthetic gave 5.5 bar cold and 2 bar hot. At a guess I would say it depends on the thickness of the oil.