Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Petrol in the oil!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2005, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Petrol in the oil!

Hi guys,

Basically just like myself my internet shy friend has just fitted a dump valve onto his Impreza. He went to check his oil the other day and it had multiplied he asked me what i thought? So i dipped the stick and he was right the oil was @ a very high level i wiped the stick and put the tissue in my pocket. After a while i noticed a petrol smell and i noticed it was from the oilly paper! Can anyone help?

Can anyone help us?

Thanks Conrad
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2005, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

I take it he has fitted a VTA dump valve. So many people fit these as they like the whoooosh sound while changing gear and popping and banging from the exhaust. On most cars they also give lots of turbo lag. You get the popping and banging as extra fuel is sent to engine and burning in the exhaust. You also can get bore wash from fuel that has not ignited in the combustion chamber. Sounds like this may be your problem. Refit recirc dump valve and have a oil change.
Old 05 Jul 2005, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

As per Bobs comments - bore wash can be caused by VTA dump valves - its not a huge problem but over time it can be an issue.

As Bob says the unburnt fuel gets into the oil ways and this is what you can smell when you do an oil change.

it could also be something like a faulty ECU etc - but first port of call has got to be fitting the original dump valve, oil change etc like Bob has recommended
Old 05 Jul 2005, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks guys I'll try that with him tomorrow
Old 05 Jul 2005, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AberScooby
thanks guys I'll try that with him tomorrow
Another thing as noted above - the VTA (Vent to Atmosphere) can sometimes lead to a lag in the spooling of the turbo. Some report this some dont... My personal opinion would be to stick with the OEM or an uprated Recirculation dump valve...

Good luck and please do keep us informed.

All the best