Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

caliper paint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2005, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
rez
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via MSN to rez
caliper paint?

hey chaps.... gotta 99 dark met blue scoob and have just taken delivery and fitted a set of dynamic pro race 17in matt black wheels which look the dogs!!! they're crying for tidied up calipers behing them so looking to paint all four red... any suggestions on brands of paint and how easy/difficult it is.... much appreciated... cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2005, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

I used Hamerite smooth on mine...

Just used a small wire brush to clean them then sprayed them with brake cleaner.
Ready to paint, I used a half inch brush. then picked out the lettering afterwards with a modelling brush

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 29 Jun 2005, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
I used a foliatec kit from halfrauds on mine, quite expensive but the finish is bloody good!

I used a normal caliper paint on my last motor and this definately has a better finish

As for using, was a bit more of a pain than the normal caliper paint, found it needed a lot more coats. I used my dremmel tool with a little wire wheel on to prep the calipers, then just cleaned down using the cleaner in the kit
Old 30 Jun 2005, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Wid
I used a foliatec kit from halfrauds on mine, quite expensive but the finish is bloody good!

I used a normal caliper paint on my last motor and this definately has a better finish

As for using, was a bit more of a pain than the normal caliper paint, found it needed a lot more coats. I used my dremmel tool with a little wire wheel on to prep the calipers, then just cleaned down using the cleaner in the kit
Hi
I also used Halfrauds red caliper paint. Easy to do cleaned them off with a wire brush, front 2 then the rear both 2 coats. I had some white radiator enamel spare so I used a soft sponge to high light the subaru letters on the front calipers Nice touch I though :wink: Still looking good over 12months later

Kev 8)
Old 05 Jul 2005, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I used E-Tech paint on mine, it's cheaper than Foliatech and has the same finish, didnt apply it myself I got the guy from my wheel furb place, when I had my wheels done to do it ops: but I know preparation is the key to a great finish :wink: