Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Japshow Saturday, an interesting experiment!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2005, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Japshow Saturday, an interesting experiment!

Saturday at Japshow (Santa Pod) was a HOT day! Ambient and track temps were very high as those of you who were there will have experienced!

We were approached on our trade stand by a bunch of scoobie owners who were looking for advice on the oils they were using. One of the owners of an STi WRX 02 was running 15w-50 and looking to do a change after the morning session having run no better than 13.8secs on the strip .

After a long discussion about oil viscosity and oil temperatures (which incidentally never exceeded 110degC even that morning) he decided to take our advice and try 5w-40 instead to see whether he could gain more BHP at the wheels simply by running on an oil that had lower drag.

They were large blokes (nice with it though and I was totally outnumbered) and agreed to revisit me at the end of the day with their findings. Worried? No not really but curious about the outcome!

So, the afternoon came and went and I thought no more of it.

At around 4.00pm they showed up back at the stand. Happy? Delighted and totally speechless! His best time on the 5w-40 was actually his personal best and by far the best of the day with comparative reaction times it was a 13.1!

So, 13.8 to 13.1 just by changing the oil

I know these guys frequent Scoobynet and SIDC so hopefully at some point they'll post their own side of the story but, just goes to show that the figures don't lie and there is always room for improvement when you have the most suitable oil in the engine.

Just thought this may be of general interest as it was an experiment on a day when conditions were harsh and in a very real situation.

Cheers
Simon
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2005, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

thats real cool 8) well sound advice and a sound time on the strip....

Thanks for taking the time to post this Simon,

All the best
Old 20 Jun 2005, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Interesting one that :wink:

Buzz
Old 23 Jun 2005, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

what was the change in the terminal speed that accompanied this increase in 'power'? A 0.7 second change would need something like an extra 50hp. If you think this was oil alone, you have got to be kidding yourself.

Paul
(fastest subaru in the UK)
Old 23 Jun 2005, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Pavlo,

I tend to agree that it was probably a number of factors although the move from 15w-50 to 5w-40 would give about 3% additional bhp at the wheels. The fresh oil would also give some gains.

I'm not sure of his speeds as he never showed me his tickets but it was his best time on the day and faster than his personal best.

I think you were running as well and as the day wore on the times were generally getting worse not better as it got hotter so his improvement was against the grain IMHO.

Cheers
Simon
Old 23 Jun 2005, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman
Pavlo,

I tend to agree that it was probably a number of factors although the move from 15w-50 to 5w-40 would give about 3% additional bhp at the wheels. The fresh oil would also give some gains.

I'm not sure of his speeds as he never showed me his tickets but it was his best time on the day and faster than his personal best.

I think you were running as well and as the day wore on the times were generally getting worse not better as it got hotter so his improvement was against the grain IMHO.

Cheers
Simon
I found the day to be fairly stable throughout. I dropped about 0.3 seconds on each successive runs in qualifying on the sunday, then ran within 0.1 second for the next to runs.

Just doing some simulation, and you would need a further 40hp at the wheels to make that difference. If you think you can give me another 50hp at the flywheel, on top of the 600 or so I already have, I am all ears!

Drag racing takes practice, it's NOT easy to get the best out of a car. Do you really think your change in oil gave that guy 50hp? Because that's what he probably thinks.

Paul
Old 23 Jun 2005, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Paul,

Whether I can improve your times depends on many factors but the oil you are currently using is something that I need to know.

If you want to talk then you can always call me 01209 215164 or catch up with me for a face to face at GT Battle on Saturday. I'll be on my stand, next to the D1 parking.

Cheers
Simon
Old 23 Jun 2005, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman
Paul,

Whether I can improve your times depends on many factors but the oil you are currently using is something that I need to know.

If you want to talk then you can always call me 01209 215164 or catch up with me for a face to face at GT Battle on Saturday. I'll be on my stand, next to the D1 parking.

Cheers
Simon
See you saturday, my stand is at the end by Sumo, but I will be out on track, with my inferior oil
Old 23 Jun 2005, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

We're the big stand at the other end. I'll be about all day. See you Saturday.

Cheers
Simon