Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

'07 STI limited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

'07 STI limited

Hi everyone I am carl. I recently got my hand me down 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited 2.5 L. This is my first car and I actually don't know a lot of things. And i got my first dumb question. Is there a proper way to do brake fluid checking? are there certain steps in doing this? I don't know if mine has a leak or something else.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: '07 STI limited

Hello mate, welcome to .org
Wish that was my first car
what makes you think the fluid is low ? I'd be very surprised if it was. Anyway, look for the brake fluid reservoir under the bonnet and there will be a min \max indicator on it. If its an 07 then it might just need pads changing
Old 18 Jan 2011, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: '07 STI limited

carl,welcome..

here's a general step
  1. With the engine off and cold, open the hood and locate the brake master cylinder reservoir on the driver side firewall.
  2. If the master cylinder reservoir is clear, make sure the brake fluid level is between the "Min" and "Max" marks on the reservoir. If you cannot see the level, the reservoir cover or cap must be removed.
  3. Clean the reservoir cover to prevent dirt from entering the master cylinder. Remove the cover.
  4. Verify the correct level of brake fluid in the reservoir. If necessary, add the manufacturer's recommended type of brake fluid (usually DOT 3). Re-install the cover.

If the brake fluid was empty, a complete brake safety inspection should be performed. It also has a video here on how to check the brake fluid level
Offline   Reply With Quote