Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Hello!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2011, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hello!

Just a quickie to say hi...

Got a nice RA in good nick, had a year of fun and now have multiple things failing.. So, with no mechanical knowledge and real girly flair (being a girl lol) I'm going to attempt to fix with a bit of help from my friends and perhaps a shoulder to lean on? Decision based on nearest decent Subaru mechanic being 50 miles away, and a dreadful encounter with a guy who professed to be an expert and went on to cause me lots and lots of bother! And yes, he came recommended, and no, I would not recommend him, we learn by mistakes!

Oh well, here's to gaining some new knowledge!
Old 16 Jan 2011, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Hello!

Hi Welcome to .org
I'm sure we can all help. Whats up with the Scoob ?
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

Welcome

As said above - what is up with it?
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2011, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

We took it to a garage to have some of the mods fitted, FMI, Induction kit, tubular manifold etc. The garage were AWFUL (scuse shouting lol) and when I got the car back they had made a pig's dinner of it. Not reconnected boost pipes, used a scraggy piece of truck hosing on intercooler pipes, made a hash of my front bumper fitting FMI, left my car UNDERNEATH another whilst draining oil, I came in and there was oil ALL OVER the car. Damaged parts of it.. Oh you name it it, they did it! So we pulled it out and have decided to try and rectify some of the faults ourselves (replacing bits and refitting, putting new hoses on etc nothing too dramatic)

Last week the coolant started disappearing and the car was overheating, I was terrified it would be HGF. Had a sniff test which the mechanic said was positive, he then starts offering to take the car off my hands. After much research and looking through this forum I figured we had NO signs of HGF so took it to a friend who can, and he retested it, whilst telling me he hates sniff test etc and to cut the story short, it's fine.

We baby this car, it's warmed up, cooled down and not really driven hard, but it's also our daily driver so important to have it running right - which is why we've always used garages! Now my confidence is so badly shaken I think I would rather get down and dirty myself!

So, need to put new rad, thermostat (yes after putting cardboard underneath and revving I could see a big fat coolant leak coming from rad area, on closer inspection, the bottom of it looks horrid and I can see a hole) someone said lambda sensor - tho with a de-cat is this necessary? Then once that's done, desperately need a decent tuner to piggy back and remap the ecu, which was supposed to be done at this horrible, scooby hell garage.

Eventually the turbo and heads need doing also, so we figured build some skills up (and avoid being duped again) replacing the small stuff and save valuable wonga after xmas.

God I warble - sorry!
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

sounds like a right back street jobbie,some HG syptoms can just be water pump,thermostat or air lock related..plenty of mappers around your area,one being BOB,Duncan is mobile so will go anywhere for an exchange in moneybit too far to recommend my mapper...
and if your on the hunt for new cheap parts try here :- Subaru Impreza Turbo Parts, Tuning, Spares & Accessories ::
Old 17 Jan 2011, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

What year/model is the car ?
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Old 21 Jan 2011, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi guys, it's a 1995/ WRX Type RA

I'm pretty sure it's not HGF, I think before she came to me she's been home maintained by someone who had good basic general car skills. She has high mileage so am not surprised we're having a bit of multiple organ failure lol I'm just hoping I can do all the little bits before having to touch the heads really!

The worst thing is this 'garage' comes with really high recommendations. The mechanic is an avid poster on another Subaru forum.. I would quite like to throw a spanner at him to be honest!
Old 25 Jan 2011, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hi my 95 wrx has a decat and is running fine still has the lamba probes on it. It will fail the emmisions test. Sort the leak out first replace the thermostat and check the water is circulating. Check both hoses are getting hot and the fans cut in. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. I cant stand the sniffer tests. Best to do this before diving into head gaskets.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi guys,
i'm new on this forum... and new with forums (i almost hate them, so hard to find things when you need).
i'm a n00b about cars... i just drive them . i just got a lovely impreza gl from 1996 and i need some manuals (pdf etc) to get a better image about this car... can somebody help me?.. i struggle to create a new discussion and i've ended here...
thank you for your help
Old 31 Jan 2011, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi Chris_wrx, yeah thanks for this. Having poked around pretty thoroughly, I can confirm we don't have HGF. Pulled the rad out and found the side was split all the way down so have jammed it up with some epoxy and it's now holding coolant - but shoulda thought about replacing the top and bottom hose at the same time, bottom is leaking and both are attached with some really cheap clamps so will do those BUT we are holding temp!!! Whooop! I can see oil leaking from behind the timing belt, there's a flappy seal in there. I think once we've nailed those bits and replaced the coils, just need to remap or replace ecu and she should be good as before!
Old 31 Jan 2011, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee View Post
hi guys,
i'm new on this forum... and new with forums (i almost hate them, so hard to find things when you need).
i'm a n00b about cars... i just drive them . i just got a lovely impreza gl from 1996 and i need some manuals (pdf etc) to get a better image about this car... can somebody help me?.. i struggle to create a new discussion and i've ended here...
thank you for your help
Hey

This may not be much help but if you google workshop manuals etc you have to sift a bit through the rubbish, and then you can find something - I got one from Fleabay... Good luck!
Old 31 Jan 2011, 06:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thank you for your kind reply,
trust me i looked everywhere online, but the problem is that this car is so old that is very hard to find online ( i've checked google, torrents, forums) but i could find 1998-2010 but not before. if someone can help me with a link or pdf i will appreciate.
thank you very much
Old 01 Feb 2011, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Mine is a 95 car and I found lots of links, try this Free Car Service Manuals: Subaru Impreza 1993 - 1996 Workshop Manual
Old 10 Feb 2011, 08:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks to all for the offers of help and advice.. I am pleased to report with much swearing, sweating and a couple of domestics, we have pretty much sorted car!! And she's back to pulling like a train