Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tracker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2011, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Tracker

Just bought an Impreza . I've heard fitting it with a tracker can drop the insurance quite a lot...
Are they expensive? Can I fit it myself? I've found one on ebay for a VW for 20, would that work in a Scooby? (might be a stupid question but surely they are just a device that sends out a signal so shouldn't matter where its put surely?)

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2011, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Tracker

A tracker can reduce your insurance but it will need to be professionally installed and certificated. You will normally have to pay a monthly / annual subscription too !!
Unless your insurers specify you must have a tracker I wouldn't fit one, just my opinion but I've seen too many cars not recovered even with a tracker.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

okay thanks. what about joining a subaru club? also been told that can make it cheaper?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Yeah with some brokers or insurers it can help, I think SIDC has offers. I've often said I am with the clubs just to get any possible discounts available, not convinced though there was actually any discount though.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I have the Tracker Horizon fitted there 399.99 to buy and then a subsctiption fee of 132 Per Year or a 342 for duration something like that. Luckily the previous owner paid for it and the duration. All I had to do was phone them and change the details. They do lower insurance premiums but not by a great deal. Must be professionally fitted also mate. If mine hadn't have come with one I don't think I'd have bothered
Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Regarding the club, do you know any Subaru clubs I can join? I've been looking at SIDC but on the forums it says loads of people haven't received their membership packs, staff seem a bit inactive... Can I just join any club or does it have to be registered etc.?
Old 12 Jan 2011, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

SIDC has just undergone a complete committee unheavel.

The new committee are planning big things to get the club back on track.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

400 seems a bit steep ...

Tracker153 Retrieve Stolen Vehicle Recovery System Free Delivery : InCar Security : Maplin

I LOVE MAPLIN ... because I'm a geek at heart I guess ... whatever, you wouldn't catch me paying 400 for a tracker, I admit it's not a very advanced device ... but ...

What I'd much rather do given the time, is design my own solution to the tracking/theft problem ... problem is with insurance approved devices, they are the first targets in the cross-hairs of criminals, the component parts of a tracker are not expensive: GPS module, GSM Module, redundant and tamper proof power circuit ( resistors, diodes and capacitors are a few pence each, epoxy/glue also cheap and by the time the crims get through it, you could have alerted a million people ), a controller as the glue, not an expensive component part, but the programming would take a while, unless there's already a ready to use one ... which there more than likely is ... and I think everyone has free texts or can afford to stick a tenner on a sim card ...