Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

tuning 53 wrx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2011, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

tuning 53 wrx

Hi , just joined and have just taken a 53 plate wrx as part payment for some work i did . Always had bikes but always fancied an Impreza . This one has a de-cat pipe on it , not sure if anything else has been done . It feels nippy , however I have a friend into rallying and he says it's easy and fairly inexpensive to get around 350 bhp out of it with a remap , air filter and fuel pump . What should i be looking to pay and where are the best places to have the work done . I know my way round with the spanners , so wondered what i could do myself .
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: tuning 53 wrx

350 is a bit optimistic. A remap and decat and panel filter will push about 280. With the decat on it this work should have already been done to make the engine run safely. A bigger turbo isnthe next step. About 340 is your limit on the wrx non forged internals
Old 07 Jan 2011, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

don't know whats been done to it , it's going to be a bit of a project car for me to run on the odd weekend . Suppose the first step is a rolling road to see whats been done.
Any idea of costs and where to take it , think Scooby Clinic is closest to me.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

if the licence hasn't been bought for the ECU(initial rempa)it'll be somewhere around the £500 mark if the licence has been done by previous owner your looking at the mappers dyno and map time,it all varies from tuner to tuner
Old 11 Jan 2011, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Am the same with my 04 subaru sti. Not sure Wots really been done. Its been de catted, ninja backbox green panel air filter so am guessin it must of been remapped coz of the decatt and runnin over 300bhp? Wunt mind gettin mine on a rollin road either.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Spoke to scooby clinic and he said just because it's got a decat pipe on it , it doesn't have to be remapped . Although I am going to run it up to them for a rolling road and start from sctratch with it.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Duncan : Time Attack 2009 Club Challenge Champion
email: duncan@racedynamix.com
tel: 07540 185754
Custom Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2010 | Classics 92-96 (ESL) | Syvecs (Solaris) | Simtek
Old 14 Mar 2011, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hiya ...plenty of good 'mappers' out there, my advice is go with reputation......whatever you do steer clear of RICHARD ODONOVAN / RENEGADE DESIGN from Huntingdon or Norwich....not only couldnt he map my 02 WRX, he left it useless .....couldnt even restore the original map.The guy is an ABSOLUTE NOVICE.....my motor was rescued by THWAITES OF WARWICK....excellent ,friendly....and value for money with open source mapping.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr929 View Post
Spoke to scooby clinic and he said just because it's got a decat pipe on it , it doesn't have to be remapped . Although I am going to run it up to them for a rolling road and start from sctratch with it.

best to strat from scratch rather than try to build a map from crap foundations.

good bunch of lads up there, they do all my work