Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Do Scoobs not like the cold ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2005, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
Do Scoobs not like the cold ?

You're gonne laugh, but my car does not seem to like the cold weather.

I was wondering if anybody has similar problems (bar Prodrive who had ALL their WRC's giving up in Sweden somewhere in 2002 or 2001).

Problems encountered:
I drove to Northern Lapland two months ago and had following problems at the end of the 300 mile drive (Didn't push it but outside temperature was about -40C).

1. Kind of a "grinding" noise up to 3500rpm when the turbo came in. It was as if the engine was running on sand, rather than oil. Or like a transmission that is running on worn bearings. (Car has 15000 miles on the clock)

2. The last 20 miles, there was a "beep" in the car about every 60 to 90 secs. Quite loud, similar to the "beep" you get from the alarm when you lock the car before all doors are closed. Checked everything but could not find any explanation.
The problem did not occur anymore in the next days when temperature was back above -30C. I can only assume the electronics has a temporary frost bite problem.

Not first problem with cold weather in fact. In the UK, on cold mornings, it would fire up like a 1979 Renault 14. Had the ECU replaced, but car still did not really like humid and cold mornings.

You might argue that -40 is cold, but you meet more prototypes in that corner of the world than anywhere else ! And neither my Merc or my wife's former car had these problems. :nightmare

Anybody ?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2005, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to triplezoney
No idea mate, but I'd go beep regulary at -40 too ops: ops: brrrrrr :shock:
Old 07 Jun 2005, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplezoney
No idea mate, but I'd go beep regulary at -40 too ops: ops: brrrrrr :shock:
I used to keep a 9 year old Mazda 626 diesel in that place and it never complained, even when we got -51C few years ago.

I really start to doubt whether the Subaru engineers actually carried out any proper winter testing or thought the STi's would only be driven by city-cruising kids in Singapore and anoraks in subtropical Britain. :evil_1
Old 07 Jun 2005, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

What grade of oil was in it?

It sure sounds as though the oil was to thick too get around the system well enough to be useful.
Old 07 Jun 2005, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via AIM to starsistar
my old loyale did just fine in the winters - I got to the University of Rochester in upstate New York, and our winters routinely get to be about -20C, often colder, with lots and lots of snow. However, I did always do an oil change around late November to go from 10W-40 oil to 10W-30 oil (not a huge difference, but it helps). Anyway I'd say most of your problem stems from the oil, but I'm not an expert.
Old 07 Jun 2005, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander68k
What grade of oil was in it?

It sure sounds as though the oil was to thick too get around the system well enough to be useful.
I think 5W30. That's what's generally used here. Might have been 0w30 too.

Also, if it were an oil problem, why does my Merc (running on 0W40) not complain or do any of the other cars driving around not complain ?

Anyway, the car has just been been diagnosed with a faulty camshaft positioning sensor. Seemed to have been giving wrong information since quite a while. No clue, but might have played a role.