Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Lots of Whitish/Green Smoke coming out of my engine bay... Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2010, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Lots of Whitish/Green Smoke coming out of my engine bay... Help!

I have a 04 WRX with approx. 107K miles on it and just last night I was sitting in line at a drive-thru when I noticed lots of white smoke coming out of my scoop & hood. When I drive the smoke is gone, but when I'm stopped its pouring out. I stopped at a friend's house down the rode & turned off the car & let it cool for about 30 mins. Lifted the hood to find my coolant resevior empty & coolant having spit out around the resevior, radiator & top of my engine cover.

We checked the hoses but couldn't find any leaks... my friend thinks it's either a hose or the thermostat, but he needs to look at it during the day to be sure (which is occurring today when I get off of work). Just looking for some suggestions of what my be the issue. I'm nervous, this car is my baby!

FYI- the car did not get hot while driving, temp gauge stayed in the middle as usual.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2010, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Lots of Whitish/Green Smoke coming out of my engine bay... Help!

Sounds like the thermostat or air pockets in the system, could be an obstruction in the system (likely in the radiator).