Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

P@@@ED

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2005, 05:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to mr freeze
P@@@ED

to say i'm abit confused & p@@@ed is an understatment ,

i went out in my car last night ( first time for 2 weeks ) warmed her up then went to garage to fill up , i then left the garage with a SEAT CUPRA R up my chuff Wink now this thing kept up with me all the way to an undisclosed speed where i turned off to go home ........
the question i'm asking is ;;
. is the cupra THAT QUICK ! ! or do i have some problems somewhere ..
i know my clutch is on the way out & since i've put a few mods on it i havn't had time to get it mapped so IS my ecu in limp mode .... OR worse case the engine is old & tired & needs sortin out ........
PS . at no stage did i feel that i was pulling away at all & if i'd of carried on he'd of over took me

PLS HELP OUT A CONFUSED & EMBARESSED MAN :evil:
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2005, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to cat17
Tel (buvver in law who had the 2 scoobies stolen) has bought a Cupra and told us how quick it is - think his is over 200bhp.

I was surprised too :shock: Bet it got the old adrenalin going though Chilly :wink:
Old 03 Jun 2005, 06:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

0.60 in 6.9 but with 211BHP & a top speed of 150 it's not bad mate :wink:

Old 03 Jun 2005, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

A lot of cars out there will give a Scoob/Evo a run for its money matey A fact of life I'm afraid. I think the glory days are over in that respect - I mean a Golf GTTDI can give would push you a bit on a straight road. That having been said also remember a lot of it is down to the driver aswell. Were you in a straight line by any chance - as I seem to remember not being able to catch my bruv in a 200BHP Rover Coupe Turbo when I was in my newly acquired 240BHP WRS. He didn't pull out on me but in a straight line sprint there was nothing in it, start introducing some bends and it would have been a different strory. I also DO NOT ever hit the limiter and generally change up a good 1000 rpm before the red line (mechanical sympathy etc.) but he may have been thrashing it....there are so many variables. You also have 4WD loss that his 2WD Cupra won't etc etc. I think I am correct in saying that a Jabba remap on a Cupra can bring the power up to about 250BHP so in a FWD car that is more than a match for most Rice Rockets unless of course its wet and then YOU would have the advantage.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I also copies this from somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone
The Cupra GT is powered by a 3-litre V6 twin turbo engine of Audi origin with an ouput of over 500 PS. The V6 engine not only delivers exceptional performance but has great elasticity through its range from the lowest revs up to the maximum 600 Nm at 5250 rpm, making it adaptable to the most demanding conditions. It has a refined chassis and powerful braking system with 378 mm / 355 mm front and rear ventilated discs. Independent double wishbones with Ohlins coil shock absorbers ensure the precise handling and agility expected of a race car.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to KaraK
The Leon Cupra R is either 210 or 225 std depending on the MY, a good number of them are chipped by Jabba/Revo/APR to approx 265-270 and this gives them approx 301lbft as well.

They are VERY quick in a straight line (once rolling), cornering is not bad either - not up to scoob levels tho. Basically from 0-60 the scoob owns it then 60-> the LCR has the very slight edge (this is based my std UK MY98 scoob vs my friends LCR 210). Once my friend had his re-mapped (Revo v2 kicking out 265bhp & 301lbft) then he can pull away above about 50-60 but its not by a vast amount.Still own him off the line of course :P

Also being FWD they have sh*t traction in the wet, if its greasy or full on wet than you would pull away.

Icronically enough you should mention the Rover Coupe Turbo Nelson - had a play with my mate in his at the weekend and in a straight line from rolling at arround 20-30 when we both nailed it there was NOTHING in it (he probably hit the throttle a fraction earlier than me as he was in front and it was me reacting to him). He was redlining and I was shifting at about 6.5k
Old 03 Jun 2005, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
as nelson said the days of the impreza ruling the roost have gone.....another one to watch for is the renault clio 182 , these things are quick, power to weight ratio is fantastic.

dont know if i just got a bad handling car but IMHO i think imprezas dont handle well at all on the standard set up, the AWD system tends to hide the fact.

chris
Old 03 Jun 2005, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

I think the days of rally derived motors kicking everyones backside are well and truly gone.....

I tend to agree however with the original comment made about an standard Impreza Turbo when it was first released - “The Impreza is a Very Grippy but not so Good Handling Car”. I think that’s the problem to be honest. However a few suspension mods – Drop links, uprated ARB, ALK, Bumpsteer mod and Geometry setup and you completely transform the car.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Any one who says a scoob dont handle,CANT BLOODY DRIVE :evil: :evil: :evil:

A good craftsman never blame his tools,if you cant drive dont get a scoob :roll:
Old 03 Jun 2005, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Does that mean you can drive yours Poxy.

If thats the case mate give us some lessons. I'd love to be able to drive my car properly.

TBH I would say most people cant drive there scoob how it should be driven.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxy
Any one who says a scoob dont handle,CANT BLOODY DRIVE :evil: :evil: :evil:

A good craftsman never blame his tools,if you cant drive dont get a scoob :roll:
Agree with your comments Paul but with respect most Scoob owners haven't tracked their cars. They don't get to really push the car so to speak. I am purely quoting what has been said many times by different motoring analysts when comparing scoobs against rival motors....the comments always made are good grip but the handling doesn't inspire you too push it - I mean terminal understeer is a serious problem. I drove my first WRX with all the suspension Mods and thought how well Scoobs handled then got the Prodrive tweaked WRS and was to be frank shocked by how badly the car handled at times However ALK and other trick mods and its a different story.

Just stating what I have gained from normal everyday use experience (standard roads). You do however know how to drive your Scoob for that there is no doubt
Old 03 Jun 2005, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyAway
TBH I would say most people cant drive there scoob how it should be driven.
You are spot on mate - I had the very feeling when pushing the Scoob - it would sometimes make you think you had less grip than you actually had if you know what I mean. However when the suspension is tweaked then its a whole different ball game and this was with the same dampers/springs. I would have the Anti Lift Kit fitted to every Scoob that leaves the factory - by far one of the best Mods you can get for the car
Old 03 Jun 2005, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Agree with the grip issue nelson. I've gone round corners and thought oooh crap! and in the end the car has got round no bother at all.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyAway
Agree with the grip issue nelson. I've gone round corners and thought oooh cr@p! and in the end the car has got round no bother at all.
Would like to add one thing here! Car setup is vital to its performance... I ve seen a few comments on tyre pressure here alone!

There is one particular r-about i use to test (avonmouth of the severn bridge) .... Ive tried it with 33 all round on a dmap day.... good! ive tried it 33 on a dry day... ggod! Ive tried it a mixed pressure (still finding the best) and its even better! Honestly tyre pressure (and tread) plays a massive (IMOH) part is the stability of the car....
Old 03 Jun 2005, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Completely agree Gar - I ran 32 on the fronts and 30 on the rears for a while and I defintely got more grip

I had heard that Subaru had intentionally made the Impreza understeer a fair bit to limit the cars driveability. Basically Subaru were thinking that if a driver felt a bit uncomfortable at times he might just ease off rather than be lulled into a false sense of security and end up losing it on a bend etc. The thing is the ALK alone makes the world of difference to a Scooby - the front end just doesn't lift and understeer is almost non-existent

Always worth playing with the pressures on tyres as these can make a car act so differently at times