Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Rally car on the cheap (ish)!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2010, 05:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Rally car on the cheap (ish)!

Hi All,

To some guys and girls out there this might sound completely ridiculous! However, I need your thoughts so will ask the question.

I am looking to buy an Impreza Sti to rally. I live in a place which has a fairly small rally scene, but has some big players with money. They have the N10, N12 and now even the N14 imprezas and some evo equivalents. I drove the N14 the other day and its the craziest car, power and handling beyond belief.

So the dilemma! I want some chance of competing with these cars but I dont have this sort of cash. If I was to buy, say, a slightly tuned 2004ish Sti for about 6/7000. What things would I have to do to it to make is capable like these cars. Such as strut braces, suspension, engine tuning, brakes, hydraulic hand brake, crash gear box etc. and what sort of prices would these additions be

I see many for sale which have highly tuned engines with aftermarket suspension, brakes etc. Do you think these would do or would the suspension fall to bits after 3 races (it will be rough off road tracks)

Any hints/ tips/ advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2010, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Rally car on the cheap (ish)!

Buy a built second hand rally car with all the proper competition bits. Always cheaper than building your own. There is no such thing as cheap rallying. Make sure you buy the best as you're putting the safety of your life in it
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2010, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Rally car on the cheap (ish)!

As above mate,
Try looking for a pre-built Classic, IMO they are better than the newage !!