Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Blown Piston after crankshaft and piston replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2011, 11:48 AM   #76 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Blown Piston after crankshaft and piston replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
att: fundi kali,
i have read all the posts and am wowed at all the info. firstly let me mention that i own a 2004 legacy b4 turbo, and i have suffered the same problems with the engine severally, have actually replaced two complete engines and the still wear out the con-rod bearings.cut a long story short.... have just rebuild my engine and started the car yesterday it run and sounded well. but having suffered the problem so many times am a-bit skeptical.
My mechanic now is talking of remapping the ECU as well.... this am not sure of as am totally blank on what happens when you do that.
I am from Kenya as well and sadly enough the best fuel we have even shell v-Power is only at 95 ron. for my vehicle it specifically said in the manual to use 98 ron fuel.
advice i need is 1: should i proceed with the remapping of the ecu,
2: have you found anywhere in our country where one can get this fuel additives that increase the ron rating for fuel.

Any help and from you guys here at impreza forum will be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

100% yes it will need mapping for 95RON, too low ron prob will have been what killed your engines.

if your gonna struggle to get the right fuel get it mapped on what you can get, you'll get a bit less responce and power but you'll have a car that wont self destruct everytime you put your foot down.

As far as mapping goes, mapped incorrectly this can kill your engine even quicker than bad fuel (even during mapping) so make sure he knows what he's doing with mapping before he does it and is competant.
Old 03 Aug 2011, 01:16 PM   #77 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
100% yes it will need mapping for 95RON, too low ron prob will have been what killed your engines.

if your gonna struggle to get the right fuel get it mapped on what you can get, you'll get a bit less responce and power but you'll have a car that wont self destruct everytime you put your foot down.

As far as mapping goes, mapped incorrectly this can kill your engine even quicker than bad fuel (even during mapping) so make sure he knows what he's doing with mapping before he does it and is competant.
Thanks will, definitely have it mapped then this weekend. my mech actually has refered me to someone who has been remapping bl5's for one of the local Importers of subarus here.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2011, 12:26 PM   #78 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Had the Remapping Done, turns out my car is a JDM and had been mapped for fuel of 100ron. all the same mech guy says they have reduced some degree of knock to like between 2. and 3. something at full throttle, and enriched the fuel at certain points.
Didint know there was so much about turbo cars that one needs to know.
So far done 200kms and nothing to note in terms of issues
I hope my troubles are gone.
Guys in Kenya i advice you to seek out the Lota Guys i think the finally have cracked the isses with our cars.
Old 10 Aug 2011, 12:20 PM   #79 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Had the Remapping Done, turns out my car is a JDM and had been mapped for fuel of 100ron. all the same mech guy says they have reduced some degree of knock to like between 2. and 3. something at full throttle, and enriched the fuel at certain points.
Didint know there was so much about turbo cars that one needs to know.
So far done 200kms and nothing to note in terms of issues
I hope my troubles are gone.
Guys in Kenya i advice you to seek out the Lota Guys i think the finally have cracked the isses with our cars.
im not suprised at all by that mate, glad your sorted now though and happy motoring
Old 01 Sep 2011, 08:11 AM   #80 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
att: fundi kali,
i have read all the posts and am wowed at all the info. firstly let me mention that i own a 2004 legacy b4 turbo, and i have suffered the same problems with the engine severally, have actually replaced two complete engines and the still wear out the con-rod bearings.cut a long story short.... have just rebuild my engine and started the car yesterday it run and sounded well. but having suffered the problem so many times am a-bit skeptical.
My mechanic now is talking of remapping the ECU as well.... this am not sure of as am totally blank on what happens when you do that.
I am from Kenya as well and sadly enough the best fuel we have even shell v-Power is only at 95 ron. for my vehicle it specifically said in the manual to use 98 ron fuel.
advice i need is 1: should i proceed with the remapping of the ecu,
2: have you found anywhere in our country where one can get this fuel additives that increase the ron rating for fuel.

Any help and from you guys here at impreza forum will be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
For sure if you just bought a JDM import you have to have it remapped. I learnt the hard way. Glad to hear that you have sorted your problem out. The octane rating, coupled with a faulty maf sensor was the cause of my problems. Since the remap, my STI has been running smoothly and no glitch so far.

I have not come across fuel additives to increase the ron but then again, no need for it after the remap.

Something else I've done is get myself a Tactrix cable and every once in a while I log to check for knock, boost, AFR etc. I'm still new at it and involves quite a bit of reading but its worth the time and effort. Plus its fun too