Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Starting in Cold Weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2010, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Starting in Cold Weather

Hi folks,
Bought the car last May so my first encounters with winter weather are coming on now.

In warm weather car starts no problem, though I always felt like for the first second or so it kind of coughed a bit...as if it was clearing the exhaust gases before it it caught on properly. Assumed this was normal and not bothered by it.

Recently though, when the weather is down below 7 or 8 degrees it seems to take a bit of turning over before she starts. It has never failed to start, but has taken a second go once or twice. But it often takes 3 or 4 seconds of turning over before she catches and then another second or 2 before she actually breathes properly (burbly burble burble....mmmmm ).

I wonder is it something to do with the fuel (using the E5 stuff here, 99 ron equivalent). It's part normal unleaded and part bioethanolly stuff and I read somewhere that this fuel can be harder to start in cold weather.

Does this happen with anyone else? It's grand at the moment because it has not failed to start, but I'm worried when the weather gets colder that might happen.

Happy weekend.